6hp Evinrude Fisherman starter rope replacement

brett8n

Recruit
Please help,<br /> My Father-in-law has a late 50's early 60's 6hp Evinrude Fisherman motor that needs the starter rope replaced. If someone could give me some detailed instructions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Brett

alcan

Commander
Re: 6hp Evinrude Fisherman starter rope replacement

Hi Brett<br />If you could post the model # of that motor someone is sure to help.

brett8n

Recruit

O.K., I'm new to Outboard motor repair. The serial number on the motor is 6902M-E10160. Perhaps the motor is a 1969 model? Any help is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Brett

alcan

Commander

Hi Brett<br />Remove spark plug leads.<br />Fully extend starter rope,then allow it to retract until knot on spool faces the port side (less than one revolution).<br /> Lock starter in this position by lifting starter pinion gear to engage flywheel. Hold it in place by wedging pliers handle under it.<br /> Pull old rope off. Cut a new rope to a length of 66 3\4" and fuse the ends for a 1\2". Tie a knot in one end. thread rope through hole in spool and through eyelet in motor cover. Secure handle to the other end. Remove pliers and slowly let rope retract. If you need to rewind the main spring. Use a heavy screw driver or a brace with a screw driver bit in it. Place driver in slot on the top of the spool and wind counterclockwise 18 turns. rope anchor hole in spool should face port side of motor. Lock in place with plier handle. Piece of cake. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll try to send you a picture. Oh yes, that motor is a 1969 model. Good luck have fun.

brett8n

Recruit

Thanks alcan!<br /> I replaced the rope yesterday following your instructions and it worked perfectly. One thing though the rope was about 6" too long, so I just trimmed it off.<br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br /><br />Brett