*New Boater* Evinrude 90hp Won't Start First Time Without Starter Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthorne

Recruit
I am new to boating! Problem: When I first try to start my 1988 Invader boat with a 90hp Evinrude it won't start. I press the bulb to prime and it is tight but won't start. I put a little starter fluid and it starts then stays running sometimes! I pulled the connection off the quick disconnect and pressed the bulb and to my amazement no fuel came out...like the line is plugged then I tried to disconnect the end into the boat and all of a sudden it freed up and gas came out. What do you think. Again once running the boat runs great. Just won't start first thing and the process starts all over. Thanks and need help!!

surftrish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: *New Boater* Evinrude 90hp Won't Start First Time Without Starter Fluid

Is the fuel tank vented? If vent is not open, you will get vapor lock. My guess is gas is flowing once you disconnect the line because that vented it. :)

Forktail

Ensign

Welcome sthorne!<br /><br />"I pulled the connection off the quick disconnect and pressed the bulb and to my amazement no fuel came out...like the line is plugged..."<br /><br />The quick disconnect has a check valve (ball) in it. When disconnected, fuel should not flow out the line. This is normal.<br /><br />You can push the little ball in with a small screwdriver and pump the bulb. Fuel should now come out. Be careful not to damage the o-ring and ball, and your eyes!<br /><br />It sounds more like a clogged fuel filter or a choke problem.....not getting the fuel. Are you choking the outboard? Checking the vent is a good idea too. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

NEVER use starting fluid on an outboard motor...EVER...Period...<br /><br />Your fuel connection is ok.. It is made that way.. When it's disconnected and you pump the buld no fuel will come out... The little bit that came out when you disconnected it is normal form pressure built up when you pump the bulb... When you try to start it the first time are you pushing the key switch in????... Pushing the key in operates the choke and primer...

ToddCBrown

Recruit
SYRFTRISH,

Your solution solved my same issue. Took off the gas cap and she kept running. Found the vent was clogged.

Love a simple solution.

Thank you

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
In future do not use starting fluid. It will eventually either destroy your motor or the motor can become addicted to it in a sense.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Folks find these old posts when doing an " internet search "-----Get all excited and reply to them instead of learning how to post anew !!-------What will happen in 20 years to all these posts ??-------Moderators should wipe away all posts that are 5 years old I think.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is a 14 year old post

Yep! :facepalm:

Wonder if that is a record?....:)

Almost! :doh:

Folks find these old posts when doing an " internet search "-----Get all excited and reply to them instead of learning how to post anew !!-------What will happen in 20 years to all these posts ??-------Moderators should wipe away all posts that are 5 years old I think.

We understand, but deleting 5+ year old posts are not a good idea. Too much good info would be flushed down the toilet. We prefer to handle awakened posts as we do now. If the post can be moved to a new thread or in this case when no new information is added to the thread by a late post, closed.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.