new problem

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK folks, seems like I have one of those boats which require me to pay to fix something every couple of months. Just had the motor tuned up, carbs rebuilts and a bunch of other stuff, bottom line, boat runs good. Its a 1994 Javelin with a Evinrude 115. The problem now is that When I start it up and go to a fishing hole, turn it off, it sometimes will not start or even attempt to kick over like the starter is going out. It will sometimes make the noise (humming) when turning the key, other times no sound at all and no action. Thoughts. I'm thinking it's the starter. Appreciate your thoughts. thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These starters are easy to burn up and slow cranking means the motor does not have spark and will not start.----So take the starter apart and inspect it to be sure.--Do not just rush out and buy a new starter.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks racerone, sorry I've not been on here in awhile, I switched jobs and have been really busy. Well, this week, I'm taking the javelin to my ranger dealer and giving it to them as a trade in. Hopefully, the new ranger RT 188 will bring me much more happiness.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Check out the starter solenoid. If the internal contacts are burned (happens on older solenoids,) current transfer can be erratic/low-can cause the problem you describe. A $40 part.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Overwhelming majority of symptoms like this are caused by loose/corroded battery cable connections. (Not to mention a dead battery). Probably could have been fixed at no cost by cleaning the connections. But what the heck, you do need that new Ranger. So proceed and don't look back.

BTW, I once bought a new Chevrolet convertible because of the exact same problem with the old car.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess that is one way to fix a problem. I just don't have that kind of money ....or want to mortgage anything with monthly payments either... We, wifey and I, are totally debt free with everything paid and an extremely nice nest-egg as well. And I plan on keeping it that way too. To each their own. Glad for you if that IS what you decided. Happy boating :thumb: