How to HOT WIRE 1978 70 HP Evinrude

dusle

Cadet
The boat was completely submerged in salt water. I have cleaned everything up as in the clymers manual. Replaced the key switch due to salt water corrosion as well as some other electricall connections. I was told I need to get this motor started to get the water out, time is of the essence. How do I start the motor without using the key switch, Are there a pair of wires I can jump? Please help.

Walker

Captain
Re: How to HOT WIRE 1978 70 HP Evinrude

Unplug the big red plug on the main wire harness and then jump the starter straight from the battery and it should have fire. You will have to reconnect the red plug to cut theengine off, either that or choke it down till it dies.

dusle

Cadet

It seems when I have the spark plugs in, there is too much compression to turn over. With the plugs out the starter turns the flywheel fine. Just with the plugs in it is like one turn and jams up. Any ideas? Is it hosed?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dusle, Did you get the water out of the crank case? Need to lay the motor down to do this! Then take the plugs out and crank it.The water can only get out thru the ported holes in the piston!<br />steve