Evinrude Junior 1.5 hp cooling exit location

m3sailor

Recruit
I have a mid 80's Evinrude Junior, 1 cylinder, 1.5 hp (Model EJRESE) which I recently acquired and tuned up to get running. Now that its running I want to make sure I don't burn it up as I did not service the lower unit/impeller yet. Does anyone know where the cooling water exit for this engine is? There are four holes midway up the shaft. Is that exhaust outlet, water outlet, both? Does the water exit below the waterline so that it is not visible. I'd prefer to use more than just the "2 second touch test" I've read about in the archives. Thanks in advance for any help.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude Junior 1.5 hp cooling exit location

Hi m3sailor,<br />The holes half way up the lu pass both exhaust and water.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Replace the impeller to be sure. It is not worth taking a chance. Even if you have good water coming out now, the impeller may fail at any moment. I did the same thing. Good water flow block touch test great. Tried to make it through a vacation without replacing. First time on the water, I started the motor and left it idle to warm up. After 3 minutes, the impeller went out totally. I noticed it right away and shut the motor down. I sure was glad I was not under way or I would not have known until the motor overheated. I runined my day of fishing and because I neede more parts that had to be order, my first 4 days. Definitely learn my lesson.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

M3Sailor,<br /> There are 4 holes located midway up the motor.They double as exhaust/water.These motors have no stream or pee hole.Its a spray or mist coming out.To check this,hold your hand behind holes while running.Make sure the water on your hand is not splash-up.(I usually cup my hand close to holes)Note:Very little water will exit at idle speed(start),so go a bit faster,then check...Any holes on the lower unit are water intake or drain/fill holes...<br />Since it is a mid 80's motor,you may want to replace the impeller in the water pump.Dry rotted or stiff impellers are not reliable.Those motors are really great and require little maintenance. :)

m3sailor

Recruit

Thanks all for your valuable input.

sloopy

Commander

can I see a picture of this motor? sounds cute :)