Oil/grease dripping from prop

wrj9892

Seaman Apprentice
When I lowered my outboard last night, I noticed it started dripping a heavy oil/grease from behind the propeller. Where is it coming from and what should I do? I'm completely new to owning a boat. The motor is an Evinrude 150 from my latest information.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil/grease dripping from prop

Do nothing. Its unburned fuel and is completely normal.

wrj9892

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I was afraid I had a new problem to deal with.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

I would at least check the condition of the lower unit oil. Clean? good to go...<br />Milky? got a bad seal...

wrj9892

Seaman Apprentice

Is it normal to have unburned fuel? Is the motor running too rich or something?

wrj9892

Seaman Apprentice

Dmessy...the oil was dark green, definitely not milky.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

good to go...unburnt fuel, this is what goes into our water supply :( <br />Normal , yes, 2 strokes spew out around 30 percent of thier unburned fuel/oil mix due to thier design. Newer modles using direct injection are getting this under control but the cleanest running engines so far are the 4 strokes.

sloopy

Commander

yeah but two strokes are soooo simple :)

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

True,Sloopy, and 4 strokes have alot more moving parts to wear out. Still believe 4 stroke will be the future of outboards. Anyone going to make a Wankle designed motor? High revs, good power, fuel efficeint, low # of moving parts, Mazda RX7's run forever...<br />My $.02 worth... ;)

flatsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Read up test results ----2 strokes can better the 4 strokes in polution and fuel economy ---besides when the seals go to leaking and the engine wears on the 4 strokes , they will leak oil all over ever thing. Imagine for a moment a 100 or so moored up just dripping oil in the water ---these darn 4 strokes may put us all out of the water

michaelb

Cadet

So do all 2 strokes leak? I have 2 outboards - one leaks sometimes, and the other never leaks.

ob

Admiral

I'd take a closer look under the cowl to determine whether you have oil leaking from vro and running down . I've had outboards for sometime and have never seen a mentionable amount of two stroke oil coming from propeller hub when sitting idle.Also might want to see if it is coming from hub area whether your not running excessively rich mix.spark plug check or simply verify oil use per gallon of fuel consumption.Most leakage in this area is attributable to prop shaft seal or seal cage assy.

wrj9892

Seaman Apprentice

ob - I've determined the motor is not VRO. No visible sign of excess oil under the powerhead cover. I'm taking it out this weekend so I'll check on the other items. Within a 5-10 minutes there was a spot about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter.