1986 Johnson 15hp weak spark

sahendo

Seaman
i have a 1986 15hp Johnson electric start outboard, model #J15ELCDE just recently got it, don't know much about it, i did get it to fire for a couple of seconds several times, but would not stay running, i know it is getting fuel, but the spark seems to be weak, from the research i've done it says the spark should jump half an inch, mine barely jumps a 1/4 inch on 1 of the cylinders and even less on the other! i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the most common cause of weak spark???? just a guy loking to go fishing! any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I would start by terting stator output with a peak reading voltmeter? do you have a manual?

Wait, I take that back. I see it is an electric start. Have battery load tested first and then go to stator output test.

kbait

Commander
Compression should test to 90+ on each cylinder and be w/in 10% of each other. If spark jumps 5/16" w/blue bolt in open air from both plug leads, call it good. Champion QL77JC4's gapped at .030". Check ground connections from CD box and coils and make sure they're clean/tight. Google 'leeroy's ramblings' to find all you'll ever need to know about your motor, and servicing it.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

sahendo

Seaman
Just wanted to let other people know. It was the (power pack), evidently they can go bad at any time. It fired a couple of times for a few seconds and that was it!

sahendo

Seaman
I know it took a little long, but I put that motor on hold because I got hold of a different motor that was already running, thanks to everyone for the help!