1996 johnson j8rxeem conversion

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 8hp Johnson extra long shaft that I want to convert to a short shaft. I have found the proper driveshaft and shift rod to do this. I will cut the water pipe to the correct size. My question is: when I remove the block below the water pump and pull the shift rod out will I beable to slide the new shift rod back into the shift cam with out having to go into the gear case? Thanks....Robert

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any body ever removed a shift rod? any info much appreciated......Robert

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The number you quote is a 1999 model , not 1996, but yes you will be able to refit the shift rod in either case.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Vic for the info. Sorry about the typo on the year of make

raczekp1

Lieutenant
i did this conversion few times.
1.remove lower unit, take out
2.disasemble water pump housing and take out drive shaft
3.you need to lift water pump base from lower unit.base is mounted on 1 bolt+ 4 bolts from water pump
4. slowly pull down shift rod .on shift rod is secure ring so you can pull shift rod only dow
5. cut of 125 mm from shift rod and drive shaft and weld it back .i do this welding in latche machine

MrSomething

Cadet
looks like, for the extra long version, you'd need to remove 10" (254mm) from the drive and shift shafts, no? Extra long is 25", Long 20", Standard 15".
I may attempt this this week too. Though I don't trust my old lathe for precision, might weld a pipe over the shaft cut, if there's space.

If anyone wants to correct me, please do! Don't want to screw this up