'82 Evinrude 9.9 wont start

wilbur_53

Recruit
bit of a problem here. <br /> Didn't winterize it, and now when you try and start it it will not start. I traced the fuel in the line, and there is fuel getting to the carb(pump works) but not to the cylinder(I don't think) But when you pour some gas down the throat of the carb it fires right up, and I hold the throttle wide open and it runs nice until it runs out of the gas you just poured in.<br />I cleaned the carb, new plugs. <br />I guess my main question is: Does the motor have reed valves, and could they have rusted shut or closed enough to not get a good vacuum?<br />Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: '82 Evinrude 9.9 wont start

Did you clean or rebuild the carb? Cleaning so they look good does not get the crud, varnish & other stuff that is on the inside. I would also purge every drop of old fuel from the tank, bulb, lines, fuel pump and of course carb.

wilbur_53

Recruit

yes, I cleaned the carb with cleaner and let it soak for a while, and cleaned it again. It's clean. The gas I am pouring down the throat is straight out of the tank I am trying to start it with.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Even though you've cleaned the carb, it sounds like the float is stuck closed not allowing fuel into the carb. You mentioned the fuel pump is good so that rules it out.<br />Backlash

wilbur_53

Recruit

nope, float and needle work fine, if you pull it over a couple times and then pull the carb off, it is full of fuel.<br />the problem is that fuel is not getting from the carb bowl to the cylinder.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey there Wilbur,<br />You're getting gas to the carb......<br />Pouring gas through the throat enables starting....<br />= Something is plugged up in the carb.<br /><br />Suggest you tear it down again, soak in carb cleaner again, and blow out all passages with compressed air. <br />Probably not what you want to hear but it's my two cents worth. <br />Backlash

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

sounds like a clogged jet. Unless you have already done it as part of the carb cleaning, I would remove the carb, take off the bowl and the float, and take apart the jet. Clean the jet with a toothpick or wire -- whatever is small enough to clean out the oriface, and spray and soak in carb cleaner. Blow through it, shoot carb cleaner through it, and make sure it is open. While you are at it, spray carb cleaner into all the carb openings and make sure they are open. It's a combination of the solvent and pressure that does the trick.<br /><br />It's best to use a little gas to clean out the bowl -- not carb cleaner or other solvents.

wilbur_53

Recruit

well, that looks like I will have to try it. I swear to god it was spotless when I cleaned it, and I could see thru the main jet perfectly.<br />Nobody else thinks there is not enough vacuum to bring the fuel thru to cylinder huh?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

probably more art than science -- and you may have indeed got the main jet clear. It does sound like an obstruction somewhere, though. When you get back after it, try spraying carb cleaner through all openings in the body of the carb -- through the main jet while installed in the carb, for example. You have to see sovent coming up into the throat of the carb, otherwise have to assume there is a blockage. (Watch out that you don't spray yourself in the face.)