Water Pump for 1977 Evinrude 85 Hp

tssauceda

Recruit
I just bought this boat it is a 1977 Evinrude 85hp I dont know how to check for water pump if it is working or not. I did not see any little hole for water to come out of when engine is running. I had it sugmerged in water and started but like I said how do you check if your waterpump is working?<br /><br />tommy

tssauceda

Recruit
Re: Water Pump for 1977 Evinrude 85 Hp

Thank you, I will try that this evening I just could not understand at first why no water I was looking for a stream. So are this hole were they look like a cars muffers holes?<br /><br />Thanks again :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water Pump for 1977 Evinrude 85 Hp

My '70 didn't have a tell-tale, and I don't think yours does either. There will be a light spray coming from the two ports on the back of the leg when the t.stat is open, but not necessarily anything very heavy. Hold your hand over the openings and see if you get wet. Without taking anything apart, you can tell if the engine is getting cooling water by touching the tops of the cylinder heads (Watch out for the flywheel.). If you can hold your fingers on the top of the heads for a few seconds, it's getting cooling water. If it's too hot to touch, shut the engine off and assume you need to correct a problem.