Johnson Seahorse # Impeller

egglayer

Recruit
Could someone please tell me how to install impeller in model JW 14? Motor has not been run for several years, <br />I did get it started but the impeller is shot. Could someone talk me through it? Also, where does the<br />the water from the engine discharge from? Thanks!

gsnyder

Seaman
Re: Johnson Seahorse # Impeller

Egglayer--The procedure is a bit long and complicated for this post, but basically your JW-14 (a 3 horse 1957 Johnson?) is reasonably simple to get to the impeller by detaching the 4 bolts holding the lower unit to the exhaust housing. The lower unit and driveshaft then slip clear. You really need a good manual from here on, because there is a proper process to remove the water pump housing, screws, gaskets, and impeller, while at the same time keeping track of the small key that keeps the impeller in line. Go to a boat/outboard store and find either a Clymer or Seloc manual for your year. The overall process is straight forward, even for a backyard mechanic like me. Finally, the water should discharge from six small holes midway up on the propeller side of the exhaust housing. Water on my 3 hp Evinrude sprays from those holes rather than streams. Fair sailing.