1989 Evinrude 155 Commercial

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On a 1989 4-Winns 205 Sundowner Cuddy.<br />Boat wieghs about 2500 with motor. <br />Motor runs great low speed, no wake. Smooth. <br />Were only able to get about 2500-3500 RPM by guesstimation. Gauge is broke of course. <br />Of course waiting for the manual to come in. Driving me nuts why we can't get rpm. We actually tried 3 diff props to rule that out. <br />Tried to time it. no change. <br />Guess need to check fuel vent, carbs? <br />Considering it was doa last weds we came a long way just need rpm. <br />Thanks for any advice you may have. :p

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude 155 Commercial

Sorry does anybody have any thoughts???

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you verified it is firing on all cylinders? It can run pretty smooth at low speed and still be missing a cylinder.

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have not run compression test, no manual yet to say what is good or bad pressure wise. <br />That is next on the list. <br />We did put new plugs in, the only thing that changed was it backfired twice and started like normal. <br />Timing is maybe messed up. Again waiting for manual to help with the specs. <br />If it was missing a whole clyinder would it get a 2600 lb loaded boat to 33 mph? <br />Thanks

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Try the bulb when this happends @ 2500 rpm. I think it is the fuel pump. A small hole in the diaphram.<br /><br />Bear

asgrinne

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Makes sense, <br />Also have to check fuel filters. I suppose that if they are messed up it may be getting enough juice to go slow. But the strange thing it does not sputter or stall. <br />Suggestions are greatly appreciated. <br />Boating on a budget! :rolleyes: Right. <br />"Boat hole is water surrounded by wood into which one throws money"!