Evinrude power tilt and trim won't go DOWN....

graphicjunkie

Seaman
So I'm trying to sell my boat (1984 Bayliner). Has Evinrude 175HP OB. Last season, the PTT seemed really sluggish. So I serviced it. It was a little low on fluid so I filled it up.
I cycled it a bunch of times up and down and it was back to being quick and you could hear the difference. Sweet!

I showed the boat about 3 weeks ago, and everything worked flawlessly. But the guy ended up deciding he wanted to go with something newer.
Today I go to show the boat, I hit the up button, flip the trailer lock switch to disengage. I go to lower it and it won't budge. Everything sounds normal, but as soon as it tries to go down, it abruptly stops (initially moves just enough to make it wiggle/bounce when it stops, almost like it's hung up on something.)
I muck with it a few more times and it isn't going anywhere. So after my prospective buyer got in his car and left....of course...I started to trouble shoot.

I removed the drain plug, and the little valve, and tried it (Could I have put it back in backwards? Anyone able to tell me which end is out? It has a wide end and a narrow end). It won't budge. So I loosened the manual over ride....I can get it to go down nice and easy, however while lowering on it's own gravity force, it bounces as it goes down.
I replace the plug, and topped it back off. I manually put it in the lower position and retighten valve. Hit the button to raise it and it goes UP lickety split. Hit the button to go down, and once again, NOTHING.

The fluid is nice and clean, no milk, and no froth.
I've seen two different methods of filling it and bleeding it and have tried both.

I'm at my wits end...
Thoughts? Suggestions? Burn it to the ground?

Thanks!

graphicjunkie

Seaman
Ok, figured it out... Eventually decided to use the over ride to lower the unit and test if the TRIM worked. Lowered it to contact the trim rams, tightened the over ride screw and then activated the trim DOWN... They functioned correctly. So I raised it back up, and about half way decided to try and lower it...it worked! Damn gremlins! So I went through the process of raising it and lowering it all the way about TEN times! LOL!