1976 Evinrude 55 hp --no start

Clayton P.

Recruit
:confused: I have a 1976 Evinrude 55 hp that will not start. Bought it about a month ago and it ran great for about 3 days and then quit suddenly out on the water. When I checked it out I found that I was not getting a spark from the #2 coil while cranking the engine. Replaced #2 coil, powerpack, stator (found a burned wire when I replaced it but it didn't seem to help) and retifier and still it will not start. (Ran every test in the maintance book.) I have checked the wiring from the key switch, battery, and grounds and still can't find the reason it will not turn over. Any ideas on what else I can check.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55 hp --no start

Did you check timer. Stator and powerpack new? Any spark with sparksplugs out?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Did you check timer. Stator and powerpack new? Any spark with sparksplugs out? Flywheel Key, the torque on the flywheel nut is about 100 foot lbs, if not tight will shear key.

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a little confused, it won't turn over or it won't start?

Clayton P.

Recruit

Stator and powerpack are new. We are getting a spark on the #1 coil with the wire diconnected from the spark plug but no spark from the #2 coil with the spark plug disconnected. The motor will turn over but not start. The shear pin is fine been checked during the numerous times that we have taken off the flywheel.<br /><br />Clanton tell me more about the timer. Thanks