Johnson Trim & Tilt problem

sandy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 91' V-6 (loop) 150hp Johnson. Runs great<br />and I love it, but, when I trailer it the trim<br />starts working by itself within an hour of doing so. I hit the trim button on the motor or the<br />shift and it quits. Logic tells me this is not good. Why is it doing this and how can it be corrected. Need to know before it tears itself up.<br />Many thanks

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Johnson Trim & Tilt problem

sometimes relays shed a little amount of their contact material through arcing. This material can float around in the relay housing. If activating either TnT switch stops the motor, I'd suspect the relays. If you are maticulous, you can disassemble the relays and view the debris. Its tricky to take them apart without braking the plastic housing. Putting in new ones might be the answer. If the trim motor always creeps in the same direction, try swapping relays with each other, and see if the up or down direction changes as well....... :)

sandy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson Trim & Tilt problem

Schematic, I've had relay problems before, several<br />years back. I got a couple extra to switch out.<br />I think you solved my problem, I did'nt know<br />relays could do that. Thanks for the help.