reed valves

thmlrmg

Seaman
i have a 75 evinrude 70hp motor that was running great for about 4 hours then starting missing and running bad. we pulled the cover off and found gas blowing back out of the bottom carb. is this a reed valve problem and if so how bad of a job is it to fix this?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reed valves

Yup, sounds like a reed problem to me. <br /><br />Get a manual. Then changing reeds is a snap. <br /><br />If a reed is gone or partly gone, be sure to check compression. If the engine has swallowed reed fragments it often gets a serious bellyache.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

thmlrmg

Seaman

jb, thanks for the advise. i have a manual on the way. one other thing i just had this thing in the shop about a month ago getting those reeds replaced. should i take it back to the mech.?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys, <br /><br />just curious,, how common is it for reeds to fail on outboards???<br /><br />is it worth getting boyesen reeds just to avoid having metal that can chew up the motor of swallowed?<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks WildeOne,<br /><br />guess I won't worry about it then.. <br /><br />I just figured if it happend frequently, then it might be a good idea to replace them with something that won't scour the bores or get stuck in a port when the piston hits it...<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Forktail

Ensign

It may not be that common for reeds to break, but they will quit sealing properly very easily. They get kind of warped, especially in motors that have sat without running for a long time.<br /><br />A bad crank seal can also cause this condition, as well as worn rings/cylinder.

G DANE

Commander

Hi Thm<br /><br />I would take it back to the shop - they must have forgot to lock or turque the little screw. I had a reed failure on my motor, i disassembled the whole motor just to discover the broken leaf was lying behind the intake cover at side of motor - suggest you try there if yours is broken