• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Could it be timing? 115 Johnson

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could it be timing? 115 Johnson

My 1970 115 Johnson was running real sluggish and rough at higher speeds, but fine at low speeds and started good. I put new plugs in, cleaned the high speed jets. Now it won't even start. I have new plugs, good compression, hot spark, and fuel going into carbs. When I try to start it gives me a little puff of white smoke from the exhaust now and then but doesnt even try to start. Any suggestions? Could there be a timing problem with the spark? Please help.

Re: Could it be timing? 115 Johnson

Hey Iwahay,After you try starting, pull plugs and see what they look. If they're dry, get a squirt can, put some fresh premix in it and give the carbs a shot while cranking. I don' think it's timing because it would either "sneeze" back through carb or bind when cranking. I'm betting no fuel.Let us know.c/6Hooty

Comment

Hooty,Thanks for responding. The plugs are wet with fuel after cranking. When I crank it with no plugs I can see the fuel/air blowing out the plug holes. Most of the time it cranks fast but sometimes does bind. I never noticed it sneezing out the carbs. While cleaning up the engine a few weeks ago, I pulled the flywheel, removed the contact ring (dont know what it's called) and cleaned it. I noticed that the key that holds it in place was not very tight and I had to use some grease to hold it in the keyway long enought to slide the unit back on. Could this possibly have a little slack in it that could cause the timing to be off? It was running ok but just stopped while out on the river, and never would restart. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Your timing is preset by the flywheel. If that key is just a little off so will your timing. That flywheel must be torqued down good. You need to use an air gun for a good job. Get a new key and make sure that the keyway has not been damaged in any way. That goes for the keyway in the flywheel also.

Comment

Its also possible that you didn't torque the flywheel down hard enough and it has sheered the keyway and could result in your timing being well and truely out.. it would be work it to pull it again and check..regardsfrank

Comment

If the plugs are wet and it does bind when trying to start,that sounds like flooding. Are ya using factory spec spark plugs?c/6Hooty

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll update you on what I have done. I used a torque wrench when putting the flywheel back and tightened to specs of 75lbs. There is no apparent play in the flywheel. I did put new plugs in which are factory spec and set to .030. I also put the old plugs back in to see if any difference, but no luck. As I mentioned, the engine was running, but then acted like it was running out of fuel, died and never restarted. Before this happened it was starting on first spin. Has fresh fuel, clean filter.

Comment

out of curiosity, squirt alittle premix down the carbs and turn it over..IF you have a spark, you have compression and you have fuel, then the timing has to be the issue...thats all there is too it.. double check all of those.. regardsFrank

Comment

Frank,I pulled off the carb cover and sprayed some premix into the carbs then tried to start with no change. Then I kept the choke open and sprayed fuel in while cranking. It tried to start and actually did for about 2 seconds then died again. Further attempts had no luck. I guess if it started at all that would eliminate the timing theory. What do you think

Comment

I don't know about your Johnson, but my merc. has a black box with three wires going to it. It advances the timing at idle. It went bad and caused the same problems as you described. I disconnected it completely and motor is running great. MRM

Comment

You sure you got the wires back on in the correct order?Good luck!

Comment

I just went through the same thing with a 76 35hp. Turns out it was the drive coil under the flywheel. I don't mess with anything over 50 hp usually. If you have a charging coil and a drive coil under the flywheel change the drive coil. Mine was only around 20.00. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add something. Use the "ring" and make sure that those coils are set properly. They cannot touch the flywheel and must have the proper gap to fire your cylinders.

Comment

If you don't have a manual for your motor , get one. Clymer puts out a good one. MRM

Comment

Well, thanks to all for advise but nothing seems to work. I think I'm going to plant that engine in my driveway and use it for a mail box holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X