Low power output, racing/dying idle, Evinrude 50hp 72 50273c

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright, just got back from first test run with new/correct carbs. She did better (top speed 11mph, hard starting, prior) but still seems substantially under-powered, making only about 18 mph at WOT. Seems a 50hp should push a 15 ft boat a little faster, I was hoping for about 30. Started right up tho, so that's good news. It just doesn't seem to be reaching the RPMs it's capable of.

Something I've also noticed is that the idle seems a little weak- will run strong and slowly fade until stalling. Also, when I popped her in neutral while approaching the dock the engine started to race, which also happened when I had the cuffs on the other day. So basically, I'm getting a dying idle one minute and a racing idle the next, seems strange. My first inclination is toward the fuel pump, which I've checked and rechecked- diaphragm seems strong, maybe I'm missing something.

Compression and spark are both solid, all signs point to a fuel issue.

Ideas? Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Have you tried a spark drop test, pulling one plugwire at a time to see if it makes any difference?

kippstakes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will give it a shot this weekend. There is also a chance that the engine is a little small for the boat, which would be fine. I'm just concerned that it may be a sign of a degenerative problem that could leave me stranded someday. We'll see.

thanks!