115 johnson tach. not working(Mr. Schematic?)

impaler

Cadet
my 1995 johnson 115 crossflow's tach cuts out and rarely works and when it does it only registers below 1000 rpm's. i've been advised to do a voltage check at the battery when running and i get 13.5 volts through all speeds. i've also checked connections and cleaned. my question is this, if my regulator/rectifier is putting out 13.5 volts can it still be faulty keeping my tach. from working? also i just purchased a new complete set of omc gauges on ebay....only problem the new tach. has a 8 pin wire reciever and my current unit doesn't any help locating a plug would be appreciated.<br /><br />thanks to any one who replies!

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 115 johnson tach. not working(Mr. Schematic?)

I had a problem on my Johnsons. The tach did not work and temp gauge was malfunctioning. It was the voltage regulator. Sorry, my work is done by a mechanic, so i can't offer repair advice.<br />Michael

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might have a tach with System Check (4 little lights on gauge). I believe this will work only with engines with that system. You might have to buy a different one.<br /><br />Val

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished a repair on my 1992 Johnson 100 cross flow yesterday. The tach would cut out, run up, then shut off. Very inconsistent or no readings. I changed the voltage regulator and the tach now works perfectly. I had to pull the flywheel and remove the stator to get to the voltage regulator bolts. If you don't have a manual I suggest getting one and reading it thoroughly before starting the repair.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Here is the link to the teleflex self help pages http://www.tflx.com/PDF/99320.pdf even if your tach is not a teleflex it will give you a basic understanding of the troubleshooting.<br /><br />Bob