00 150 Johnson wont shut off

Bill Collom

Recruit
I have a 2000 150 hp Johnson Outboard that will not shut off. I've tried the kill switch, didn't work, I've unplugged the ignition switch, didn't work. I'm chocking to motor to get it to die or either crimpping the fuel line. Anyone with ideas on what the problem is?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 00 150 Johnson wont shut off

BC..... The kill circuit for the ignition (powerpack) is as follows:<br /><br />Black wire from ground to "M" terminal on ignition switch. Black/Yellow wire from other "M" terminal on ignition switch to powerpack. Black wire from powerpack to ground.<br /><br />When the ignition switch is in the off position, the two "M" terminals are connected internally within the ignition switch, shorting out the powerpack and killing the ignition circuit.<br /><br />If the engine will not shut off when the ignition key is in the off position, it is due to one of three causes which are:<br /><br />1 - The circuit between the two "M" terminals within the ignition switch is faulty (unlikely).<br /><br />2 - There is a break somewhere in that Black/Yellow wire.<br /><br />3 - The kill circuit within the powerpack has failed.<br /><br />Usually the problem is the Black/Yellow wire.

Bill Collom

Recruit

What would be the best way to determine if the black/yellow wire is bad? Would it be to cut the wire and splice back into it at the ignition switch and at the powerpack?

petryshyn

Commander

Take a small stick pin and pierce through the black/yellow wire. Choose an area between the pack and plug that is easiest to get at. Start engine and short pin to a good ground with a jumper lead. If engine stops, suspect the harness to the ignition switch or the switch itself. If it don't quit, replace pack......<br /><br />If pack is kept, be sure to seal the pin holes in the kill wire with liquid tape or urethane caulk.... :)

Bill Collom

Recruit

My thanks goes out to both Joe Reeves and schematic on helping me solve my problem. :D