2003 Johnson 25hp wont start and now leaking gas/oil mix

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Was running my outboard yesterday and boat stahled somewhat on top end (wasn't maxing out rpm's) so I stopped the motor to check maybe if it was trimmed wrong. Well after that, I couldn't get it back started. I check electrical and its getting spark to both cylinders, but now when I try to start it and it wont start...gas starts dripping / pooling a little out of the lower unit (exhanust and holes)...is the gast / oil mix...not lower unit oil.

Wondering what this may be indication of? What I need to check. I have pulled and went through carbs before if this seems it may be that...just wondering why the gas was leaking out the bottom.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Is your choke/primer stuck on?
is your primerball holding firm with engine off?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If the cylinders are not firing, the gas goes through and out the exhaust, unburned. That is why you see it coming out the bottom. You have to find out why they aren't firing. Same old rule applies, fuel in the right amount, adequate spark at the right time, and adequate compression. Add a couple more: No water getting into the cylinders, and crankcase compression.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
If the cylinders are not firing, the gas goes through and out the exhaust, unburned. That is why you see it coming out the bottom. You have to find out why they aren't firing. Same old rule applies, fuel in the right amount, adequate spark at the right time, and adequate compression. Add a couple more: No water getting into the cylinders, and crankcase compression.

Thanks for the reply! Well I pulled the carb and went through it all....it was actually clean to start with...made sure all jets were clean and free. Hooked it back up and it wont start.

Spark plugs are getting spark when I pull them out and ground against motor housing...both cylinders are getting a blue spark.

I went and got new gas thinking that may be it....still nothing.

It doesn't even try to start, and this motor you could pull about a 1/4 of the way to start it last week.

so I have:

a clean carb, new gas, getting spark on cylinders...I have worked on several smaller 2 cycle motors before and always found the solution, as I think 2 cycle setup is pretty dummy proof, but proving different this time.

One weird thing is that the spark plug is wet when I pull them out (as in gas wet).

I don't have a compression reader handy here, but I can tell there is compression on the cylinders...and the motor was running fine a week ago.

I need suggestions on what else to check or may be the problem.

The only thing I haven't done is replace all gas lines.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Checking spark with a spark plug means nothing. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester. Will it do this ??

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Checking spark with a spark plug means nothing. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester. Will it do this ??

I dont have a spark tester...will try and locate one or take the motor somewhere (what i was trying to prevent).

So the blue spark across the spark plug gap doesnt indicate anything? It definitely seems like enough to ignite a gas mixture...maybe not.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Don't forget, the gas mixture is under about 100-125 PSI compression. Takes more voltage to fire the plug.

Last edited: