Evinrude 4 strokes dead or only sleeping

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Does anyone know if Bombardier Will start up old Evinrude Line. I was in market for a 15 HP 4 stroke and had picked Evinrude. Since I have a 1975 15 HP Johnson and it has all the problems of the early 15 HP Johnsons I figured I would wait a couple of years and let them get bugs out. I tried Contacting BOMBARDIER but only get voice mail and no call back. Dealears I contacted have no motors and are just selling other brands. I have heard Evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke has rocker arm problem. If anyone has any info I would sure like to here it. Time for me to get a new motor soon. I also wonder how long parts will be available for the old OMC outdrives, (pre Cobra, Serries 400, 800).

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 4 strokes dead or only sleeping

Try www.evinrude.com Some of the tabs dont seem to work. It appears that at the moment smallest 4stroke is 40hp althiugh the site acts like it is not all up yet. Why not investigate all 4strokes<br /> look around on the net there are test drives reviews,and opinions there may even be some info on this site somewhere.Try epinion.com Dont get stuck in the gotta have this brand mind set, check em all.<br /> Spike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Boatist,<br /><br />The "Evinrude" 4 strokes were made by Suzuki. Bombardier is now marketing the same line as Johnsons.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hello Steelespike thanks for reply.<br />I have been checking Evinrude and Johnson's web site weekly and they are making some changes right now. I have been checking all the brands except Honda all year and am supprised how big a difference there is. I do a lot of backing when ocean fishing to slow the drift when wind picks up over 20 mph. To have good backing need a special prop or the exhaust causes the prop to not get a very good bight. Evinrude special prop has a 60% increase in reverse thrust. Yamaha has a good prop for the 8 HP but not the 15 HP. I find nothing for the Merc. I may just Repair my old 1975 15 HP 2 stroke. The other reason I was looking to Evinrude is whole lower unit is same so all the props for the my old 15 will fit. Thanks for reply, right now I do not see any 4 stroke info in the Evinrude line.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hello Jb<br />I am sorry but I disagree the Evinrude 2001 15 HP 4 stroke was made by OMC. The current Johnson 15 HP 4 stroke is a totally different motor and is made by Suzuki. If I liked that motor I would buy it from Suzuki not Johnson. Suzuki is same motor with different paint but cheaper and has a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year. Thank for the reply.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

The news that Suzuki didn't make Evinrude 4-strokes is going to come as a shock to my local dealer. They've been told for years that Suzuki made them, and even have a cross-reference for many of the parts. Guess they'll have to throw that worthless info away.... ;)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Cptn Mike<br />Did Suzuki make the 2000 15 HP Evinrude 4 Stroke?? Here is all I know. The 2000 15 HP Evinrude 4 stroke used same props as my 1975 Johnson 15 HP 2 stroke and the OMC rep at that time said was also same lower unit. Also the 2002 15 HP 4 stroke Johnson and Suzuki are the same except for paint and warranty. The 2000 15 HP Evinrude 4 stroke and the 2002 15 HP Johnson 4 stroke are two different engines do not look the same at all and use different props. Did Suzuki build both motor and if so does anyone know what changes they made and why???? I have herd that the 2000 15 HP 4 Stroke Evinrude has had a lot of trouble with rocker arm. I am in the market for a 15 HP 4 stroke and I liked the old evinrude the best so far and have a high thrust prop for it. I found a dealer that still has a few motors but do not want to buy it unless they are still going to make it as I know some day will need parts. Haveing trouble right now getting parts for my 1980 OMC Serries 400 outdrive. Iboat has the upper gear box but so far have not found a dealer that will install it. I would really like to here anything anyone knows.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

went on a tour of the old calhoon georgia plant in the mid 90,s seenthem macking the 8,9.9,15hp motors four stroke that is with my own eyes the new ones are made by suzuki . Why havent you looked at the hondas? have not heard of anyone that actually has one ever say anything but good things about them.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

OMC Frank thanks for reply.<br />Main reason I have not looked at Honda is I hate SLIVER. DUMB reason but that is it. I also have friend with a 10 HP who loves it. I am not sure if they make a high thrust prop for good backing or not. Right now the way I use the motor about 50% of the time is backing against wind in the ocean. I will make myself look at Honda. I think power heads for MERC and Yamaha are the same. Yamaha make a good kicker motor 4 stroke called the T8. I only wish they had a t15 or 20 as if we are 26 miles out at Cordell banks for some reason main motor fails it would be a long ride with only 8 HP.