Horse Power Rating

Deenniiss

Cadet
Ok... heres a stupid question but Im new to owning a boat thing . I have a 1959 Evinrude . Its an 18 hp . I think I might have some lower unit problems in reading some of the postings on here. I tried to open it up yesterday and got a whinning sound with hardly any power at all. I dont have a speedometer yet so I m now sure how fast the boat was going or if its messed up at all. Im not sure HOW fast it is suppose to go. Im gonna check it out.. but for my question.. I have a 14 ft Aluminum boat with a flat bottom. Its rated to take up to a 20 horse motor. I was hoping to get a 25 horse in a year or two, that is if my motor I have lasts that long. Is there anyway to get a boat rated higher on the horse power? Is there much difference between a 20 hp and a 25 hp ? Really Im just curious. I will probably have to get the motor I have fixed if at all possible. I was just wondering how a boat was rated and if you could get a change on what is on the tag. Also, if anyone has any information on the 59 evinrude motor I have , feel free to email me. Good or bad Id like to know whats with my motor. The boat is a 98 model.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Horse Power Rating

There is a difference between your 18 and the newer 20. In the area of about 4hp at the prop. The 18 was rated at the powerhead and the post 1985 (I believe) motors are rated at the prop. The spec plate was approved by very strict testing requirements issued by the Coast Guard and would not be easy to duplicate or modify. If you decide to go larger than what the plate says, be aware of insurance problems, handling and the possibility of damage to your boat.<br />Mike<br /> :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Horse Power Rating

Mike is right on stick with the boats rating.<br />Years ago I had a 61 18 basically the same motor<br />I pounded the heck out of it and it ran and ran. <br /> I think it was about 10 yrs.old when we traded for a bigger motor.That motor on your boat with one person should go close to 27 miles per hr.<br /> That would feel pretty fast in that boat. <br />Sounds like you have some pretty serious problems<br />in the lower unit.Could be pretty costly to fix,<br />if you have to pay someone. I would think pretty seriously about taking that money and put a down pmnt.on a good new or newer motor.There are two adjustments on the front of your motor usually the larger one is the high speed ,adjust that to the best speed as you run then do the slow speed to get the best idle. (if your gears last long enough)<br />Being new to boating get the best you can afford from a good reputable dealer.the idea is to be on the water not in the shop. Good luck, Spike