!988 Johnson, electric primer(choke)

Poor Ol' BJ

Cadet
I bought this motor used with no book. Where is the manual lever on the primer supposed to be set at. Also do you hold the key in for several seconds or do you pump it in several times? How is it supposed to be operated? I'm having starting problems and I don't know if this is the problem. Is it supposed to squirt gas with the switch if the handle is turned all the way clock-wise? This is on a 50 horse with VRO. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: !988 Johnson, electric primer(choke)

BJ.... The red handle on that primer solenoid should be facing straight back in line with the solenoid. That is the default automatic position.<br /><br />Think of it as a choke. Holding the key in when cranking, or when the engine is running causes the solenoid to open its internal valve, which forces fuel into the intake leaf plate area.<br /><br />Turning the red lever to the opposite position puts the solenoid valve in a manual open position. This is used only should the electrical system fail and you need to prime the engine. With the lever in this position, pumping the fuel primer bulb would force fuel into the leaf plate area.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the primer is squirting gas when you push the switch, the cover may be cracked. You can get a replacement cover and gasket. Replace that and you will find the motor starts easier and runs better. Plus there will not be gas flowing around under the cowl.

Poor Ol' BJ

Cadet

Kinda strange, but I called 2 marine dealerships asking this before I got home to read these replies. One told me to leave it open to adjust the spray for cold starts, and the other told me it didn't matter where you left it because it was electric anyway! What you guys have told me makes sense. I think this is what has been causing all my flooding problems and my CARBON PROBLEM!!! I don't think I'll call those 2 places again for any advice! Thanks, guys.....