1982 70 hp Evinrude

pontoon

Recruit
I am considering purchasing a 1993 21 ft Crest pontoon boat. The boat is in very good condition. The only concern I have is the age of the motor. If the motor has been well maintained, can I expect a few more years of reliability?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 70 hp Evinrude

Howdy Jonathan.<br /><br />That engine is only 20 years old. If it has had reasonable care it should last another 20.<br /><br />The OMC 3 cylinder loopers are among the best engines ever built. They were 20 years ahead of the industry when introduced around 1970 so there is no obsolescence to be concerned with.<br /><br />A compression test (all cylinders compress 100psi or more and are within 15% of each other) and an on the water demo (engine reaches 5000-5500rpm at full throttle, starts easily cold or hot, idles smoothly and doesn't overheat) should demonstrate what sort of shape she is in.<br /><br />Good luck :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 70 hp Evinrude

You gotta like a guy who talks about a 20 year old motor like it's just broken in. JB is right -- an early-'80s Evinrude will be reasonably easy to work on, with ready access to replacement parts. The 3-cylinder models were a workhorse, and there are a lot of them around from the '70s (and of course those "new" ones from the '80s). It's a good bet if it's been cared for.