Evinrude 5.5? HP Fisherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumps

Cadet
I'm trying to find the year. I tried the Evinrude links with no success. Can't seem to get to docktalk. I took this # from the frost plug co420197, but my local dealer says it's meaningless--not a model #. The motor was stored for some years and is partially seized, at least, it takes all I have just to turn it over. Before I resort to a teardown, it would help to know if parts are available, cost etc. All suggestions welcome. Grumps.

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude 5.5? HP Fisherman

Grumps,<br /><br />Not sure what year it is. You'll be able to find parts. There are Evin/John parts available way back.<br /><br />I would not just tear into it. I would put some WD-40 into the spark plug holes and let it soak. The reason for the hard turn over may just be the water pump impeller sticking in the pump. Drop the lower unit first and have a look while the cylinders are soaking.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

second that advice. Keep the plugs out when you start gently trying to turn it over -- will have better feel without compression in trying to free up the pistons.

Grumps

Cadet

Roger that, thanks. Do I need a service manual to get at the impeller, or is it a case of folow the bolts. Maybe this next bit belongs on Dumb Story forum. I checked more diligently and found, guess what? Correct, a manufacturers plate complete with model 5402B Ser C420197. Can you guys determine the year from that? Thanks again. Grumps

alcan

Commander

Hi Grumps<br />Your motor is a 1964 5.5hp. It's always best to have a manual. You will have to remove the power head in order to disconnect the shift shaft. I agree with the others, soak her up good, also drain the gear oil.

Grumps

Cadet

Thanks again,guys. Off to the local library in search of a manual. Plugs are out, wd 40 is in. Gear shift lever is broken at the right angle, vice grips work fine but look ugly. I could not see what secures it & had a suspicion it might be internal. Would it make sense to replace the impeller since I'm in anyway? Grumps

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While you have the powerhead off, yes change the impellor. Why yank it again.<br />I have a 63, same model, good motor. Parts are available.<br />Mike

Grumps

Cadet

Tore it down, impeller ok, major crud in the lower gearcase. First hint was when I took out the drain plug and oily water came out. Rust & yuck everywhere. Have soaked and cleaned etc and now commencing assembly. Interesting thing, the fill plug had 2 nylon washers, the drain plug had none. I am speculating there should be 1 for each, & that's how oil got out & water got in. Does this make any sense?

alcan

Commander

Hi Grumps<br /> Yes indeed, that makes a whole lot of sence. You can imagine how easly that can happen. With the age of your motor, and since you allready have it apart, I hope you plan on installing complete new seals. Pay close atten to the shift shaft seal. These are a little donut like o-ring. You will need a speical long punch to remove and install. You can order one from a dealer or make one up. The nice thing about these l\u's is they clean up nice with out serious damage, most of the time.

maxair

Cadet

Just a note to "Grumps" - I see you're in Kitchener - I'm east of Toronto and just picked up what sounds like the same motor you have - '63 evinrude 5.5 fisherman. I intend to replace the impeller, and would be interested in knowing if you've located a source for parts? <br /><br />Thanks

Grumps

Cadet

Hi Maxair, have found a local parts source, some things in stock, some things to be ordered. Rather than clutter the forum with some of the things I learned the hard way on the teardown, you can email me, stan@kenderhome.com, if you like. Thanks to all, the tip about powerhead removal to get at the gear shift linkage probably saved me hours of puzzling and many bad utterances.<br /><br />I have the geartrain ressembled and will add the powerhead after I get a gasket Looking forward to a triumphant final post after I return from North Caicos in a couple of weeks! Grumps

Grumps

Cadet

Well, it's up & running after an unexpected series of delays from other, more critical stuff, falling apart around the house. Thanks again to all my advisers. Grumps

robo3

Recruit
I have a model 524r evenrude fisherman.Can a small engine mech tackle rebuilding it? It hasn t run for about 155 yrs but is very ckean plugs look good and does turn over.I did spray cyyclnders with wd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.