Where does the water discharge from on '69 4HP 'rude?

cweiser

Cadet
Hi, BB. I have a '69 4HP Evinrude that I haven't taken out yet. When I start it in a water tank, I don't see any cooling water discharging from the engine.<br />I checked the water pump impeller and it's good. Also, the motor does not seem to overheat when I run it.<br />I want to make sure the motor is being properly cooled before I use it.<br />The little motor starts and runs really great but I'd like to know where the water comes out so I can be sure the water pump is working.<br />Really appreciate all responses...Thanks, CW

D

DJ

Re: Where does the water discharge from on '69 4HP 'rude?

CW,<br /><br />The water exits, with the exhaust, blow the water line. You should see some spray from the exhaust relief port about 2/3's up the leg from the lower unit.

cweiser

Cadet

Thanks, dj19. I guess to verify the operation of the water pump, you just look for the spray from the exhaust vent.<br />This motor has been in storage for years and it was given to me. It started right up on the 3rd or 4th pull. (It was stored upside-down!) It's in great shape, though. I want to make sure everything's ok before I go pokin' around in the bayou.<br />By the way, what's the little drain screw for below the exhaust cover sticking out from the bottom of the lower engine housing?<br />Thanks again.

bill giffear

Seaman

Hey,CW saw your reply to Corabelle then checked out this forum. I would replace that water pump If I were you! The impeller dry rots if the engine sits for a long time. Where at in La. are you from? I love that place!!!!, been to Nola., Houma and Lafayette.Can wait to go back!!maybe this october!

cweiser

Cadet

Hey Bill,<br />Can't hurt to change the WP on the little motor. Definitely gonna do that.<br />I'm down in St. Bernard, just East of NO. They've been pulling some HUGE speckled trout from Lk. Borgne this Spring, 20 min boat ride from my house. Love to fish but hard to find the time.<br />My brother lives in NJ so I get up around that area fairly often. Love the Pconos, I gotta ski 'em sometime.<br />I gotta admit, this forum is great. I'm telling all my boating/fishing friends about it.<br />October is THE best time of year to go to LA.<br />CYA

bill giffear

Seaman

Hey CW,Hows the crabbing down there?I bet they are monsters compaired to Avalon NJ! I keep my boat there.Where in NJ does your brother live, bill.

cweiser

Cadet

Hey again,Bill<br />you gotta get the big fat blue crabs from Lk. Pontchartrain. Catch 'em right off the seawall. They're best in late summer.<br />Right now, everybody's eatin' crawfish. 79 cents a lb, live.<br />My brother is in Laurence Harbor, just below S. Amboy. His house is right on Raritan Bay. Windy! Last time I was there was for the holidays. We drove up there so we passed through PA and DC on the way home.