power tilt & trim won't go down.edited.re-edited

I have a 85 evinrude outboard.I've installed a new electric motor for the tilt and it goes up perfectly, but i can not get it to go down unless i use the release screw.Please help!! :confused: <br />I think it is an 79 or 80.And yes the electric part of it does sound like it is working or at least trying to.<br />Re edit;I'm starting work now and was wondering how much hydraulic fluid to put in? There is no window to see level?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: power tilt & trim won't go down.edited.re-edited

Trevor.... What year is the engine? Does the electric motor run in the down mode?

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: power tilt & trim won't go down.edited.re-edited

trevor, if the trim motor is running and the fluid reservoir is full and the manual release valve is closed,try this...with engine supported by the lock mechanism,find the check valve located below the port side trim ram.it is approx. 3/4" in dia. and looks as if a very large screwdriver would fit it. remove it with the largest screwdriver you got ,{buy a cheap one if you need to}some fluid will come out ,but not all.then get a #10 nut, look in the hole that the check valve came out of you will see the shuttle valve , it has a stem on it . use a small pick or screw driver and put the nut over this stem. then install the check valve carefully.it is only catching a few threads.you need to be listening for a pressure release in the trim unit so things need to be quiet around you at this time{really}.ounce you hear the pressure release then remove the check valve ,and the nut and reinstall the check valve. the trim should work now. good luck ,john