Schematic for Tilt/trim pump for old OMC.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi ladies and gentlemen,, <br /><br />I have a small problem I thought I might enlist you help with if possible..<br /><br />The manual relief on my tilt/trim pump, (its off a Evinrude 85hp 69 model..) seems to be letting fluid through even when in the lock position... I am assuming its probably an O-ring worn or something..<br /><br />So, before I go tearing into this thing to find the part that needs replacing. I thought i'd ask you good people if you knew what was down there or had a schematic I could see?????<br /><br />Is this a common fault on these things?<br /><br />Any tips would be fantastic...<br /><br />kindest regards<br /><br />Franki

alcan

Commander
Re: Schematic for Tilt/trim pump for old OMC.

Hi Frankie<br />I got a schematic on the way. check your email. Sorry, I have never worked on one of these units, so I know nothing about them. Let me know if the schematic is the right one.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Alcan, <br /><br />Yes, that does look like the right schematic...<br /><br />however, it doesn't seem to have the manual override on this one.. its like a wheel with a allen key in the center.. and its down the bottom of the pump unit.. (facing backwards from the boat).. <br /><br />All I can assume is that some of these had the manual release, and some didn't???<br /><br />Do you have the 70-72 books there?? do any of them show a manual release where the pic I just sent you indicates???<br /><br />Thanks again Mr Alcan, <br />Might I ask where you got all these parts lists? were you a dealer? or are you a dealer? :)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Franki

petryshyn

Commander

Be sure the fluid is up in level. There is an o-ring on some manual valves that get sheared when removed to far out. Might allow air in unit. Try raising the leg mid-way. THen grab hold and force it up and down as hard as you can several times. Sometimes the main hydr. valve gets junk in it, and this can purge it if lucky...

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Schematic..<br /><br />I have completely replaced the oil.. the stuff that was in there looked pretty sad..<br /><br />It goes up and down very well, just slowly sinks when you put it up...<br /><br />I will try forcing it up and down hard tomorrow..<br /><br />If I can avoid taking it apart, I'd be very happy...<br /><br />When I got it, someone had wrapped wire around the manual release, holding it hard in.. stupidly enough, I decided I'd like a manual release, so I cut the wire.. (put it back again, but it made no difference for me..) <br /><br />I think I will probably pull the pump down if forcing it up and down doesn't work.. replace every O-ring I find in there..<br /><br />Thanks for the suggestion.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

alcan

Commander

Hi Frankie<br />Got my pick and shovel, I'll see what I can dig up.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks mate..<br /><br />much appreciated...<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

petryshyn

Commander

shouldn't need to pull apart. the valves are accessable from outside on most

alcan

Commander

Hi Frankie<br />Near as I can tell, the manual let down valve started in 1974. As I only have those parts and accessories catologs on micro fitche. I don't have a way to send them yet. So I'll send you the next closest a 1976. They are pretty close. No, I am not a dealer nor have I ever been one. I got started working on outboards as a kid (along with just about everything else)as a way to make sure my older brothers would make room for me in the boat. Over the years I have bought, scrounged, traded and was given my lititure. A few years back I considered buying a professional shop. But then I would have to work. That would ruin a perfectly good hobby. By the way I have nothing but respect for the pro's. I'll bet your motor looks like a million bucks with the new paint an all. I might be a little crazy, but it seems like they run a bit better when they look good. Have fun.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi again..<br /><br />Alcan, that new schematic you sent doesn't look anything like mine except for the relief valve, what we are chasing is one like the first one, with the relief valve from the second one.<br /><br />Schematic, I tried to do the up and down force thing.. (its not mounted on a boat, so its hard,, I made up a mounting frame and board and bolted the outboard to that..)<br /><br />It does seem to have slowed things down a great deal,, its very slowly sinking now, and its very very hard to force down.. (I put about 50KG on it (the lower unit..) and it hardly moved.)<br /><br />I'm thinking that you are right about gunk in the system.. but the other reason it may have slowed down is the hoseclamp I put around the manual release the other day to hold it in.. (it wasn't making alot of difference then, but who knows now.)<br /><br />Since I am getting the rams rebuilt for free.. I might as well replace all the o rings in the pump as well.. I'll see how I go I guess..<br /><br />I really just want the **** thing to work..<br />Why must I fight this thing every step of the way?<br /><br />thanks once again for the tips and piccys.. :)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

petryshyn

Commander

Frank, right now this engine is a pain in the a$$, but seriously, look at the experience you are getting. You will be much wiser for it. The knowledge you gained is priceless. :) <br /><br />I mean it.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Schematic.. I agree entirely...<br /><br />Its now quiet apparent that I know much more about old V4 OMC's then I ever wanted to..<br /><br />I picked up this thing cheap at a place 400km from my home.. It hadn't run in 7 or more years.. kept in a carport, most of the paint was gone, the powerpack was clagged, cowling had holes in it and looked very sad, gearcase was stuck in forward only.., and someone had taxed the tilt/trim pump and the rams were all siezed.. and all the bolts/studs/pins in the mounting brackets for adjustment and tilt/trim stuff were locked solid..<br /><br />Since I got it I have spend around 500-600USD on it.. it has a 7 layer brilliant white paint job that looks perfect.. new powerpack, external temp guage, overheat buzzer swapped for relay and car horn, new impeller, the carbs have been stripped and cleaned four times, (trying to fix the overflow problem I had) I got a tilt/trim pump for it, (hense this thread in the first place) changed the fuel pump, fixed the gearcase issues.. replaced alot of the wiring, cleaned/tidied connections I didn't replace, added a wiring loom to go between controller and dashboard, had a chip filled in the prop.. and did the water and then OMC decarbs... its purring like a kitten now. (added new impeller and plugs also)<br /><br />Its been a long run, and now its at the point where I have spent as much on the motor as it is worth in Australia,, so I am hoping to spend as little as possible from now on.<br /><br />Its definately been a learning experiance.. as was the Lark40 I used before this one..(which I have stripped completely for various reasons.)<br /><br />I love boats, I love talkin about them, I love building them and I love helping people with them,, I am starting to think I should give away my programming job and get a boat related job...<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

petryshyn

Commander

if you work on something for a living.....often the glamour and glitten are gone......it'll be just another day at the office.....<br /><br />enjoy while you can, how you can.... :)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'm not real sure about your leak-down problem you discribed but (according to the Evinrude maneal) some of the older 'rudes lower units were suppose to slowly drop down when in the tilt position and stop when they reached the trim position.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

alcan

Commander

Hi Frankie <br />The 1974 picture is the one you need. But I can't send that one. So I sent the 1976 picture. True, is a different unit,but the let down valve is close to the same. If you need part #s for the 74 valve, I could post them. Like Schematic says, when you don't have to do this work to eat, it can be enjoyable, sorta like golf.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Guys..<br /><br />I got my camera back today,, so I figured I'd take a photo of the tilt/trim in the hope someone recognises it.. and I put a photo of the motor in there as well, just cos I could :)<br /><br />Its covered in dirt, oil and crap from the termites in the roof, but it still looks ok :)<br /><br />Here are the photos of the tilt/trim motor.<br /><br />
Trim-photo1.jpg
<br /><br />And another:<br /><br />
Trim-photo2.jpg
<br /><br />And Finially, a photo of the outboard itself... (nearly finished... :)<br /><br />
my-motor.jpg
<br /><br />Anyway,, just thought I'd show you what all my questions were about... :)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

opps,, <br /><br />The second image should have been:<br /><br />
trim-photo2.jpg
<br /><br />Forgot that it was case sensitive...<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, wish me luck people, <br /><br />Today I am going to try and take the manual release knob out and see whats behind it..<br /><br />It spins, but doesn't spin out.. so there must be a tab or something to hold it in place, probably against an O ring or something..<br /><br />keep your fingers crossed, I'm worried that I'll take the bottom off, and a hundred tiny parts will fall off..<br /><br />god I hope not.. :)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello people, I took the tilt pump apart, (this time making sure I kept the armature in the housing so as not to have to go through the brush thing again :)<br /><br />Anyway, I found that the release knob raises and lowers a pin (sort of like a single needle bearing) up against a ball bearing with a spring behind it..(see the photo below) the pin looks either worn or home made, (looks abit like someone made it with a needle roller and an angle grinder, the face of it is not smooth.)<br /><br />I am not sure if it is supposed to be level with the pump face when its fully engaged or not.. so I can't replace it till I know. (see the attached photo for more detail.)<br /><br />Does this look familiar to anyone?<br /><br />
tilt-pump-inside2.jpg
<br /><br />I could probably block that hole off and stop the release from working,, but I am not sure if its supposed to be up or down, (the pin) when the release is not on.. (ie not releasing the fluid).<br /><br />Also, I wanted to keep the release if possible..<br />Does anyone have any suggestions here??? I am abit stressed because it didn't turn out to be a O ring.. :-(<br /><br />Even if you have an educated guess, I'd be grateful to hear it right now..<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Franki

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just thought I'd add to this with another question.. <br /><br />Would a cut down needle roller with the same diameter work in this application? I doubt I can get a replacement OEM part anytime soon so I will have to do it the hard way and make something that would work.. but first I have to find out how long it should be...<br />any ideas?<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank