Schematic for Tilt/trim pump for old OMC.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Schematic for Tilt/trim pump for old OMC.

Ok Folks, I'll be honest here, <br /><br />I'm posting again to pop this post back to the top in the hope that someone see's this and has an idea or suggestion for how the pin and ballbearing work, and how long the pin should be, or something I can do to find out???<br /><br />I noticed today that there is some wear in the grooves that the ball bearings sit in, if I could just figure out how this thing works, I could probably rig up some way to fix it... but the design is very strange and makes not alot of sense.. (that might also be because i can't see into the very bottom part of the unit where the hoses come out and the actual manual release valve is located. (I took out two circlips, but it still doesn't come out..<br /><br />Also, there is a something listed in the parts catalog which is essentially 3 ball bearings and a spring.. part number 172309, is it worth trying to get it?? the ones in there look ok... unfortunatly the parts list I have doesn't include the manual release pin, so I can't order one..<br /><br />any thoughts???<br /><br />If its any help, I have put a schematic of the unit below,, maybe someone knows how this thing pumps from looking at it??? (its a biggish picture so it might take a while to load.)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frankly desperate :)<br /><br />
tilt-trim-blowup.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hello Frank, I have been reading this post and thinking about it. Considering the age of the system...is it possible that the pump and valves are fine. It could be the packing in the tilt cylinder itself that is leaking by. (Item #32)<br /><br />I have a good deal of hydraulic experiance with earthmoving equipment. It would just be a guess the check the integrity of the cylinder packing. <br /><br />Nice pain job.<br /><br />Bob

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I thought about that as well, and I will be getting the ram rebuilt as well, (my girlfriends brother builds ram for mining equipment and has offered to rebuild it for free... so why not?)<br /><br />However, the fact that the manual release is flakky and slows down its release when you push it hard in.. and move it around abit.. the system doesn't bypass as much.. so I am thinking that if I can fix the pump properly first, I can move on from there..<br /><br />I have decided that tomorrow, i will head over to acouple of boat places and talk to the mech's about it..<br /><br />I'll let you know if I hear something interesting.. so if anyone else has a related problem,, it might help them as well..<br /><br />Its driving me nuts because other then this the motor is rearing to go.. :)<br /><br />Thanks for your help, I guess I'll now let this topic fade into oblivion. (unless I learn something interesting. :)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi everyone.,,,<br /><br />After all the help I got on this one.. I thought I'd let you know how it panned out..<br /><br />the tilt/trim pump was just cleaned and reassembled.. then reinstalled on the motor..<br /><br />no more leaking down.. the motor stays stationary.. so all I can assume is that there was dirt stopping it from seating properly or somthing.. so the problem was the pump not the ram..<br /><br />I do have one other problem though.. one of the metal hoses to the pump won't screw into the pump hard enough.. it leaks under pressure.. (slowly) I think the thread in the pump is slightly stripped..<br /><br />does anyone have any tips for that one???<br /><br />Still all things considered, I'm getting close to finishing this thing completely.<br /><br />many thanks...<br /><br />regards<br /><br />frank

Bob_VT

Staff member

You have a few choices. You can tap the hole to the nezt larger size and then install an adapter to reduce back to the original line size. This is a VERY common thing on heavy equipment hydraulics. Are you using teflon tape or sealant on the current threads? This is a good thing to try first and cheap too. <br /><br />So...now that this is working you mentioned it is tilt only? and not t & t?<br /><br />Bob :)

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Mr Bob, <br /><br />Well the old OMC mech I spoke to told me it was only tilt,, aparently the trim on these models is on the outside of the transom brackets. (not that I could see where.)<br /><br />The control says tilt/trim but there is only one ram.. and it is single speed, it doesn't go slower at the bottom or anything, so I guess I will look at bennets or something, (assuming they prove themselves necessary.)<br /><br />I did try the teflon tape.. it helped, but when the pressure built up, it still leaked past and I think it popped back a thread..<br /><br />I don't really want to drill it out if it can be avoided.. do you think that epoxy resin on the threads would help???<br /><br />regards<br /><br />frank

Bob_VT

Staff member

If the teflon did not work then try pipe dope compound. I would not use epoxy....if the pipe dope does not work I would re-tap it to a larger size. OR ?????? since you live in a "metric area" is it possible to try a metric fitting which may be a touch tighter before you re-tap it? Just an idea.<br /><br />Bob

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Bob.. I suppose that I have lots of options..<br /><br />I could braze it on.. but I don't think thats a good idea.. I'll see if I can find some pipe dope and if that doesn't work.. I'll see what my tapping options are..<br /><br />I was hoping as usual that perhaps there was an easy answer.. no such luck..<br /><br />besides, I spent so much money and time doing this thing up that I should do it properly.. <br /><br />I'll ask my mate that does it for a job if he can get me a larger head and if I can borrow his flange tool.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

rfortne

Cadet

Alcan, could you see if you can dig up something for a manual tilt/trim made by Arrow Manufacturing. Says Dole Fluid Power Product, Model S-P500. This is from a 79 Evinrude 55HP Model 55975c. Thanks.