1963 evinrude 40 hp big twin

hoss62773

Seaman Apprentice
This outboard looks its age. After cleaning out a mouse nest from the entire engine compartment, I am ready to see if it wants to go. What should i do to the motor before trying to crank it over? all the wires seem to be in tact, but i have no idea when it was last started. I'm new at this and i need some place to start. <br />Thanx

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1963 evinrude 40 hp big twin

Check your water pump impeller.. <br /><br />You will have to drop the lower unit of the leg..<br /><br />be careful when you do that, because when I did it to mine, I had a whole bunch of needle bearings fall out.. <br /><br />(had to stick them back in with grease to get the shaft to go back in..)<br /><br />They are good motors, especially for their age..<br /><br />if its the same as mine, (Lark40) even with a totally claged water pump the engine will not overheat if you are going forwards at a reasonable speed.. I didn't even know back then that water pumps needed impeller changes every year or so, and mine was missing most of its teeth.. like I said, if you go forwards, it doesn't overheat.. the water pickup is facing forwards on that model, and water is forced up the the leg... helped by whatever is left of your impeller.. I used it that way for years with no problem.. only don't go backwards for any length of time, and don't idle for long either.<br /><br />If it had a mouse nest in it, then it probably needs a carb clean as well, but maybe not, try it and see, test for a spark first.. then kick it in the guts. (try starting it) keep a squirt bottle of premix handy and squirt some down the carb while you are trying to start it..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank