Johnson 9.9 Tiller Throttle Frozen

PaxRiver

Cadet
Have a 1984 Johnson 9.9HP & the throttle shaft on the tiller is frozen. I'm not sure of the exact names of the parts, but there is a rod which connects the throttle twist grip on one end of the tiller to a gearing mechanism on the other (gears on the end of the rod mesh with gear linkage in the engine). The problem seems to be at the geared end of the shaft ... everything else seems to be free. The rod passes thru a hole in the tiler assembly just before the gears & appears to be frozen (corroded?) in this hole. I've used penetrating oil for about a week, but it hasn't made a difference. Suggestions please .. I haven't used heat yet. There's not much room to get a vise-grip on the rod. I'm concerned about damaging the gears if I apply leverage on these. :(

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 9.9 Tiller Throttle Frozen

Watch what you apply het to, some of those shafts were plastic (you may have metal ones, but look closely). It would probably be easier to dis-assemble it. Remove the screw in the twist grip and remove all the internal parts (spring, washers etc). The unbolt the handle from the pivot point and remove it. Remove the retaining clip from the rod and it should slide out of the handle. Clean and lube everything up an' slap it back together.<br /><br />-John

PaxRiver

Cadet

Thanks John. I also concluded it better to remove the handle, but want to be sure I don't mess things up. Because my manual (a generic Clymers book on Evinrude/Johnson small outboards) doesn't show the handle assembly, I've been cautious about what I do. There's a bolt & nut that attaches the handle to the engine housing & allows the handle to pivot. There's also a piece of rubber that operates like a hinge between the handle & the housing. I removed the nut, but the handle didn't slip easily off. I couldn't tell if there is something else holding the handle, if there are rubber gaskets/bushings or similar, or if I can pry it off with a lever. More advise please. Also, when I removed the twist grip, the only things that seemed to come out were a spring and 1 washer. Is there anything else I should worry about? Thanks for mentioning the retaining clip ... it wasn't obvious when I looked-over the rod assembly.<br /><br />Thanks much for the advise ... Jeff

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Jeff,<br /><br />E-mail me at jegervais@yahoo.com and I'll send you a parts break-down that should help.<br /><br />-John

G DANE

Commander

Hi Jeff<br /><br />You have to remove the tillerhandle by the one screw in the rubber handle first. Behind the handle are two small screws and at the linkpiont one bigger you can tighten to make the handle move smoother. Remove all three. The normal place this mechanishs freeze it the gear sitting in the motor mount, not the handle. You have to remove the screw in the little gear to pull the axel out first. good luck

PaxRiver

Cadet

G. Dane ... thanks for the advice. The small gears sitting in the motor mount move slightly when prodded with a screwdriver .... movement limited by meshing with the gears in the throttle handle. I can't budge the gears in the handle in the least. Will get back to the project this weekend. John from Illinois offered to send a parts breakdown & that will help. In fact, the email traffic on this subject has already been beneficial.<br /><br />Jeff