1975 JOHNSON 70 HP STILL NO SPARK

secur

Cadet
HELLO AGAIN<br />THANKS FO ALL THE HELP SOFAR NO LUCK THOUGH.<br />I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION I CHECKED RECTIFIER WITH OHM METER AND GOT OPEN ON ALL LEADS TO GROUND REVERSED METER LEADS GOT SAME INDICATING ANOTHER BAD RECTIFER. ONE OF THE TESTS THAT LONEWOLF SENT SAID TO REMOVE LEADS FROM RECTIFER AND SEE IF SPARK RETURNED<br />I TRIED THAT BUT STILL KNOW SPARK.I AM SENDING MY ORIGINAL POST BELOW THANKS AGAIN<br />Hi <br />have a 1975 johnson 3 cylinder .I was on lake and running fine then motor quit like i had turned off the key and now has no spark on any cylinder.From various post and my repair manual I think I have done all tests.lone wolf sent me a troubleshooting guide every thing tested ok but I bought new stator powerpack and rectifer replaced all still no spark.i have tried to jump start to be sure there is enough amps. i have discoed the ground from key switch .and the red main connector and used remote starter button at selonoid. the only thing left is the timer base i think that is what is called under stator on a moviable plate. can this cause no spark how can I test it.Please help if you can there are no boat repair shops near here.<br />Thanks ED

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1975 JOHNSON 70 HP STILL NO SPARK

You need to check output of timer,stator,and pack with peak reading meter.

secur

Cadet

THANKS AGAIN<br />I HAVE BEEN TRING TO TO GO TO THE WEB ADDRESS YOU SENT BUT IT MUST BE DOWN I AM STILL TRING TO FIND ONE.JUST CURIOUS IF DISCONECTING RECTIFIER WOULD ALLOW SPARK <br />ED

clanton

Rear Admiral

www.esitest.com also look at www.screamandfly.com a poster said he could make one. Read your post 2 more times, did you replace the stator under the flywheel? Disconnect stator wires 4 and 5 on termial board recheck ohms wire to wire, then check # 4 wire to ground and 5 wire to ground. Also need to know if Rapair stator or OMC stator. # 12 termial on pack needs to be grounded to block, check ground with meter.Check ohms on timer # 8,9,10 at pack # 11 is common and also check each timer wire 8.9.10,11 to ground. let me know what you find. E-mail clanton@atlantic.net

Joecol

Cadet

Good -day Secur,<br /> Well I have another piece to add to your puzzle. Have you checked the crankshaft sensor?? This is located under the flywheel and it may or maynot be attached to the stator assembly.If the CDI (powerpack)does not see a signal from this sensor it will quit firing because it will think that the engine or crank has stopped turning. <br /> Joecol in Canada

akfishing

Recruit

hello ed, I have a 78 70hp johnson and sounds like we had the same problem. <br />Out on the lake and the engine just died. No spark. I have yet to figure out whats wrong. Did you get yours going? I live in alaska and a trip to town is not an easy thing. It would be nice to know for sure what part I'm after. Any help? thanks<br />akfishing.

CARDNAL98

Cadet

if you are not getting spark you got a bad triger the sensors are bad you can find a good used triger on ebay. if you can not find triger like your just get one with the same sensors there all the same for that year hope this will help