5.5hp Johnson

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,<br />I've been watching this board for some time and there's a wealth of information here.<br />I'm in the process of repairing/rebuilding a 1978 21' Dolphin Products boat with a 175 hp Evinrude (which I bought, boat motor & trailer, for $800.00, so that tells you the shape it was in). I've replaced rings, bearings, water pump, etc in the motor and it seems to run ok on the muffs. The boat has been cleaned up, fuel system added, repaired in several areas, and the seats and controls redone. I'm working on the trailer now and when it's ready we'll go have our maiden voyage.<br />This question concerns a 5.5 hp Johnson that I bought (for $100.00, another "project") to use as a "kicker". It's a Model CD 195, Serial 22968677. I want to buy a manual for it and need to know the year. Does anybody have that information? <br />I'm planning on fishing for "Specks" in the Mississippi sound.<br />Thanks,<br />Bill......

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.5hp Johnson

Model CD 195, Serial 22968677<br /><br />No such Model, might be typo......<br /><br />Model CD 19<br />Year 1962<br />HP 5.5<br /><br />The Model ID number is essential for us to ID your engine, see below to locate:<br /><br />For Johnson and Evinrude outboards, check the following locations: <br /><br />-the stern mounting bracket <br />-the freeze plug <br />-the flywheel <br />-the side of the cylinder assembly <br /><br />For OMC Stern Drives: <br /><br />-the nameplate attached to the rocker cover <br />-the front and/or the rear of block, behind or in front of port cylinder head <br />-rear of block, port side, below manifold <br />-the starboard side, above the starter motor <br /><br />
cool.gif
<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep It Between The Bouys" & "Good Luck"!!!<br /><br />fone_man

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, fone_man.<br />That's the model number on the bill of sale and I read it from the plate on the stern bracket. It's not a typo, but it may be a "read-o" on my part. I'll look at it again when I get home. <br />1962 sounds about right however, judging by the color of paint and the style of the hood. <br />Are parts still avaiable from the dealers, or on-line? <br />Bill......

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They should be... new or used, this a great BB for locating hard to find parts plus I am always searching for new sources.<br /><br />Walt & JB profess to be experts on old OB's & they do a great job along with 12footer & the rest of the crew... "if I didn't mention your names, please do not be offended"...<br /><br />Just remember to post all info in as much detail as possible so we can get to "the rest of the story" <br /><br />In regards to old manuals.... check out this site for OMC products... using "print on demand" technology for old owners & service manuals... I have enjoyed the history section of this company... the timeline & technology that owner used to grow his business was the best at the time & he had a vision that is still growing the companies business to this day!!!<br /><br />Check it out & I hope it helps.... http://www.kencook.com/kccwww/marinepubs/marinepubs.html <br /><br />
cool.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep It Between The Bouys" & "Good Luck"!!!<br /><br />fone_man

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'll try that.<br />I'm looking forward to getting this rig in the water.<br />Bill......

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mornin' all<br />fone_man, you're right. After carefully looking at the tag on the stern bracket it turns out that the model number is CD 19 S.<br />Another question. I'm building a bracket to mount this motor on the back of the boat to use as a kicker, and I'm wondering where the shaft length (15", 20" etc.)is measured from. This little motor measures about 20" from the top of the inside of the stern clamp to the propshaft. The 15" measurement is about 2" above the anticavitation plate. I'm gathering diminsions so I can build the bracket to allow the motor to tilt up enough to clear the water line when underway. I have read that the anticavitation plate should be level with the bottom of the boat to about 2" below the bottom of the boat when underway. Is this correct? <br />Bill........

Rick C

Cadet

The Ken Cook Co. has your manual.Its a bit pricey @ $35 but is the best manual I've found(I have a CD-17)Also E-Bay has lots of original manuals, parts catalogs and parts.Local marine dealers still carry ignition parts for it also.Plenty of on-line parts dealers also and most have search engines and will mail you the results.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rick C,<br />I've checked out Ken Cook and Monday I'll give them a call and order the manual.<br />I've gotten the motor running this weekend and it seems to run ok but the fuel pump does not work. I'll try to find a diaphram locally next week.<br />Also I had to take the carb apart and clean it and I found the low speed adjustment set at 1/4 turn off the seat. Does anybody know what the correct initial settings are for the low and high speed adjustments?<br />I've gapped the plus at .030 and I guess thats's ok, but if not someone please let me know.<br />Bill......

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The saga continues,<br />I've disassembled the fuel pump and lo and behold the problem does not appear to be the diaphram. It looks like there are two ball bearings that are used as one way valves to contol the direction of fuel flow through the fuel pump. I say it looks like it because if they are supposed to be installed they are missing. The cavitys are there, the seating surfaces look ok, and the springs that should hold them against the seats are installed. There are no ball bearings however. I can also blow both ways through he pump so it's definately bad. <br />Does anybody have any thoughts on this?<br />The fellow I bought the motor from said it was running before he stored it several years ago. I don't think so.<br />Bill...

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I visited my local dealer and while he had no parts to repair my fuel pump, (the parts manual listed no parts for it) he did have a complete pump that would work. I purchased it and hopefully will be able to try it tonight.<br />I still would like to know the initial settings for the low and high speed jets, and the spark plug gap.<br />Bill........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Byordy. Set the hi-speed needle 1/2 turn out from the seat, lo-speed needle 1-1/8 turn.<br /><br />Plugs are J4J, .030, points at .020.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, J.B.<br />Hi J.B.<br />I put the fuel pump on this afternoon, set the mixture screws, turned on the water, pulled it twice, and it ran. After some fiddleing with the mixtures it purrs like a kitten, (a 39 year old kitten). A little cosmetic cleanup and some other minor things and it will ready to mount on the boat.<br />Now to build a kicker bracket to mount it on...<br />Thanks, <br />Bill........

jnallyn

Recruit

i have the some motor model # CD-20R seriel # 2390668 will start but wont idle would appreiciate any info you could supply this is the perfect size motor for my 12 v bottom boat i would love to get it in the lake this season thanks for any info jnallyn@netzero.com (jeff)