johnson motor flusher

spinfreak

Cadet
I have an older 6 hp Johnson outboard on my little boat. I'm not sure of the exact year, but somewhere around late 60's should be right. I've only run the outboard in freshwater, but this year I am going to be using it in saltwater. I'm going to need a flusher to flush out the engine. I've looked everywhere, but can't find the type I need. On my larger motor, I use the "earmuff" type, but the little Johnson needs the older type flusher that goes over the little pick-up tube (for lack of a better name...lol)under the cavitation plate.<br />Does anyone know where I can find one? Maybe someone has one laying arounnd that I could buy off of them?<br />~Thanks in advance~

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: johnson motor flusher

They are not hard to find, keep looking..<br /><br />I have one on my Lark 40 evinrude, and I noticed they sell them over here in australia at my local marine shop.. (about 10 bucks AU.)<br />Australia is the A$$ of the world, so if they sell them new in shops here, you shouldn't have any probs getting one over there...<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

spinfreak

Cadet

Jeez...wouldn't you know it?!?!?! What I need is readily available in Austrailia, but not right here in the US....lol. I checked just about all the shops around my area, and I've even checked on the internet. I can't find anything except the newer "earmuff types".<br />Maybe some one else could help? <br />(maybe you could buy one for me, tie it to a bottle, and float it over to me?...lol) ;) <br />~thanks~

spinfreak

Cadet

I found a flusher on e-bay that is similar to the one that I am looking for, but according to the product info on the label, it doesn't fit the motor that I have. Maybe someone that might have some knowledge about it might know if it will fit or not?<br />Here is the link for the auction:e-bay auction for flusher<br />Click the pictures to get a bigger picture so it is eady to read the label.<br />~thanks a million~

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got one last year for my old Evinrude 40 from West Marine. Cost about $30. Made by Tempo. Took about a week for them to get it from a warehouse.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats not the one you need.(the one on ebay..) I think..<br /><br />I am looking at mine now, I think its the type you need. it is two pieces connected by springs..<br /><br />one end is a circle of metal bent in a u shape, and its padded on the inside..<br /><br />the other end is rectangular and has to cut out tebs to clip onto the back of the cavitation place. <br /><br />the bent circular bit has a hose connector on one side.. <br /><br />(If I had my digital camera handy, I'd post a pic of it.. but I lent it to someone.)<br /><br />hope that helps..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got one at a Merc dealer under their accessories name QuickSilver cost 15 bux. any Merc dealer will have them or can get them.<br /><br /> ;)

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, maybe I can put you in touch with the dealers over here that have them,, you can get one shipped over there.. <br /><br />They are called Hayway marine..<br /><br />In Western Australia..<br /><br />I can check if they will ship one for you..<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

spinfreak

Cadet

Franki,<br />The one that you have is the one that I need. I've had a Johnson in the past, and I used to have one of the same flushers. I just thought that maybe the one on e-bay was a new style that would fit. <br /><br />CaptU,<br />I'm not sure that the one that you are talking about is the same as the one that I need. As far as I know, Merc's don't (and never did) use the type of flusher that the old Johnson's did. As long as I could remeber, Merc's had pick0up holes on the sides of the lower unit. The old Johnson's had a pick-up tube underneath the cavitation plate. Therefore, I don't think that Quicksilver (which is the Merc part name) would make a Johnson part. I could be wrong though. ;) <br />~thanka~

spinfreak

Cadet

Thanks,<br />I would really appreciate it. Since I can't find one here, I would definately get one shipped from over there.<br />Let me know what you find out. :) <br />~thanks~

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have them listed in my book, but don't have a picture. The tempo number is 918faa and price is $39.00<br /><br />whitesmarine@tds.net

spinfreak

Cadet

I looked on the Tempo website, but that model isn't listed there. The only types that they make (according to their website) is the "earmuff" trpes, which won't work on my motor. Here's the website: tempo products

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

they are still available, i called my supplier and they said they could still get them.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Spinfreak, Mercury dealers stock (or can order) parts for lots of other makes of outboard. I have purchased OMC parts from them on several occasions. If you have a local Merc dealer, have him flip open his Quicksilver book and find you one.

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spinfreak,<br /><br />The pickup is under the anti cavitation plate on my 99 Merc 8 HP, I use it dozens of times a year. They are available from any Merc dealer sitting on the shelf for 15 bux. <br /><br />Make it easy on yourself and go to a Merc Dealer.<br /><br /> ;)

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good news and bad news. I looked at the Tempo box for mine (Part no 380020 Model no. 917 TFA) so they certainly still make them.<br /><br />Bad news - it won't help you. Fits J/E engines 25 to 40 hp (1951-1991) with the cav plate inlet. Sorry for the bad info.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ITs not that important if the part number matches..<br /><br />if you have the exhaust exit from a tube behind the prop, and the front of that tube has the water pickup in it, (like my old Lark40) if they are roughly the same size, you could make it fit..<br /><br />On the lark, the tube sticks down roughly 4 inches below the cav plate, and is 4 inches forward of the very back of the cav plate..<br /><br />IF yours is anywhere near those figures, you could make this thing fit easily enough.. the tube is around an inch wide..<br /><br />if its slightly smaller on yours the springs could be shortened, and if its not as wide you could squash the end of the water muff till it fits, its only copper, and its got around a centermeter of padding to seal it.. so it would be very forgiving...<br /><br />If you can get the same one over there, I suggest you do it.. it'd cost a bit for these guys to post it over to you.. but I am going in there today to see if they can provide any of the new stainless bolts I need, so I will ask for you..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The one on e-bay has a very misleading picture,it is just a primitive "earmuff" type.However,if you end up not getting the right type ,do like many others.Fill up a garbage can with fresh water and run your engine in it to get the salty stuff out. keep on fishin'.