Johnson outboard hard to start when warm

DaveS

Recruit
I have 125 HP Johnson outboard. I think it's a 1974-76 model.<br />It's cold-blooded but once it gets warmed up, it runs great.<br />The problem I'm having is: Once the motor is shut off and it sits for about<br />15 minutes or so, it's real hard to start. It usually ends up flooded and I<br />have to let it sit for about an hour before it will start again. What causes<br />the fooding? Is it the choke or the warm-up lever?<br />Any idea why this is happening and how to remedy it?<br />thanks.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson outboard hard to start when warm

Hi Daves, Check the choke solenoid and see if it has two power, (Purple) wires coming out of. If it does, see if when the key is turned to the run position, (Engine not running) The choke pulls the choke plates about halfway closed or full closed. Let me know what does happen. (half, full closed or nothing.)

DaveS

Recruit
Re: Johnson outboard hard to start when warm

Iceman, thanks for your quick response.<br />Please forgive my ignorance but, is the choke solenoid in the control box or the engine?<br />I'll get back to you but, I won't be able to check it until next week end.<br />thanks again!