Regulator?

grima

Cadet
To the right hand side of the rectifier in a 1970 Johnson 115 is a rectangular fitting with 6-7 wires coming out of it. Is this the regulator? I seem to recall the guy at the marine shop saying it was a clipper switch or something similar.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Regulator?

Your motor does not have a regulator on it, if I remember correctly, just a rectifier. The 6 wire module is a safety switch. It works by switching the 12 volts to the powerpack when the engine is cranking and the alternator (yellow wires) sends voltage to the module.

grima

Cadet

Seahorse5, I'm getting up to 17 volts at the battery with the motor at WOT. This being the case I was wondering if I can fit a regulator to this motor, and if so what type do I need to buy?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back in those days we ran with the lites on to take up some of the excess voltage. A 1/2wave regulator is available but is expensive and mostly not needed.<br /><br />High voltage is usually a sign of too small battery capacity, low water, or a battery getting ready to fail. Hook another good sized battery (80 amp/hr) in parallel with your other one and your voltage will stay near normal.

grima

Cadet

Seahorse5, I've got two batteries (I don't run them together), one is 650cca and is near new, the other is a deep cycle. Can I put the two in parallel considering that one is a deep cycle?<br /><br />Also worth mentioning that I have nothing onboard that uses power (no sounder, radio, etc)

petryshyn

Commander

Grima<br /><br />Although I've drawn this for a merc, you can easily add in a switch and a diode to cut your charge rate in half when voltage creeps up too high. Your batteries will love you for it...just ask if more "how to" is needed

grima

Cadet

A bit more info: <br /><br />Main battery: 600 CCA 130RC I can't find AH<br /><br />Back-up battery (which came with the boat):<br />Deep Cycle 65AH, the rest of the info can't be found as the sticker has been torn off!

grima

Cadet

Schematic, thanks for the diagram.<br /><br />I've got a few questions as I'm not an electronics expert:<br /><br />1. Does it matter which yellow wire from the rectifier I connect to the sides of the switch? <br /><br />2. In order to connect the yellow wires from the switch to the rectifier, do I screw them in place on the bar that has about 14 screws (not sure what it's called)<br /><br />3. What type of diode do I need?<br /><br />4. Can the black wire from the switch (earth) be connected to the negative terminal on the battery?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys, <br /><br />I am very interested in this as well.<br /><br />I have the 100ESL72, 100HP 72 model.. and at idle I have about 13.5 volts.. I havent measured it at WOT. but I imagine it'd be bad..<br />can a car regulator be wired in to stop pumping 17 volts into the battery? <br /><br />failing that, a schematic for Johnsons would be fantastic.. (for the switch.)<br /><br />I have just got myself an entire boat dashboard full of guages and I have alot of electrics on the boat, and pumping 17 volts into the fish finder makes me nervous..<br /><br />Thanks guys..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

petryshyn

Commander

I'll make up a diagram more pertanent to OMC later today or tomorrow.<br /><br />Franki<br />13.5 is fine. Maybe you have a regulated system. Measure it out on the lake at wide open throttle before getting too nervous...then, if it climbs to 17+, you can consider this. A car regulator won't help this system.<br /> :)

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Mr Schematic..<br /><br />Your really quite the treasure on this list aren't you? :)<br /><br />I will test it once I am out on the lake.<br /><br />I have just drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the control box, hooked up a piece of 6 wire cable from trailer cabling and hooked it to the ignition, the overheat sensor, the grey tacho wire and the control box earth.. I will be using all of them through relays to power my new dashboard full of guages.<br /><br />look forward to your schematic.. I am starting a collection, I have kept all of them I have come accross on this board so far.<br /><br /><br />Rgds<br /><br />Frank

grima

Cadet

Schematic<br /><br />If you get a chance can you post the schematic for a johnson?<br /><br />Many thanks

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd like a copy of that too mr schematic sir if you please.. (i won't be doing it till I verify that I have a voltage problem.)<br />but it would be nice to have the diagram if I do have the problem as I am currently wiring up the dashboard and stuff...<br />and I can make provision for it with one of the switches and stuff....<br /><br />my email is frankieh@vianet.net.au<br /><br />Thankyou....<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank