power packs

texas_angler_2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,<br /> Thanks to the people who reply to my off-the-wall question and for the time u take out of your day to answer my problems. I have an 1985 Evinrude 115 horsepower v-4, vro. It if real hard to start with the key but after you use something to spray in the carb. (after it gets warm) it will start fine.After trying fiqure that problem out i recently found out tis not getting no spark now. What are some thing i can check and how i can check them. i bought a manual so any help u have i can refer to my manual to how to repair. any help will be greatly appreciated....thanx........Tex.

G DANE

Commander
Re: power packs

I would start checking if the kill wire possibly gets ground somewhere, if you miss spark at all - try to disconnect at pack, and see if you get spark. Next step would be to check and clean all ground connection - both from stator and power pack. Also try to disconnect the amphenol connectors and clean - i had that problem myselves. Reply again then.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Texas_Angler_2002.... This "No Spark" condition can be caused by a failing ignition switch which creates a weak resitance between the "M" terminals of the switch, in effect shorting out the P/Pack(s). The shorting of those "M" terminals is the normal condition when the key is in the "Off" position. To check the switch to see if that's your problem, remove the black wire that has a yellow stripe (black/yellow) from the back of the ignition switch. If you now have ignition, the ignition switch is faulty and will require replacing.

petryshyn

Commander

Ditto Joe<br /><br />If you still have no spark, disconnect the black/yellow wires from the packs and try again. This will eliminate a possible wiring problem from engine to controls. If it starts, you may need to choke it to shut it down....<br /><br />good luck :)

flboater

Recruit

I have been following this post and have a similar problem.If the black and yellow wire is separated from the power pack and there is now spark, what is causing the no spark condition?

petryshyn

Commander

don't know what your circumstance is, but if you have spark when black/yellow wires are disconnected, it can mean one of two things:<br /><br />>the kill switch is activated(lanyard), or the circuit is grounded (bad ignition switch or wiring to it)<br /><br />>the isolation diode in one or both packs is shorted.(this applies if the no spark occurs when packs are connected together, and kill wire is disconnected)<br /><br />Also try disconnecting the rectifier totally. If spark returns, check rectifier...

flboater

Recruit

I received a mild shock while turning the key switch to the starting position. Wiring to the key switch appears to be in good condition. The key switch is new. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

petryshyn

Commander

HI flboater<br /><br />What year and model? you may have some wires mixed up....

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Howdy Flboater.<br />I would think that you are recieving the shock from the tall tower on the back of the key switch. Originally there was a plastic insulator wrapped around the switch to prevent this, the tall tower has the charge coil voltage on it, this is approx. 250 volts ,and can jump a pretty good distance.<br />Just a thought

flboater

Recruit

There was a plastic type of coating on the back side of the original switch, around the terminals. What would be an appropriate coating for this on a new switch?