150 johnson wont start when hot

hartwell

Cadet
i have a 1996 150 johnson that wont start when hot, it sounds strange like it has no compression,but when it cools off it is fine,it runs just fine,any suggestions?

chasem

Cadet
Re: 150 johnson wont start when hot

hi hartwell i have a 1979 55hp evinrude with the same problem. Is your starter extremely<br />hot . my gets hot and after it cools down it will fire and run good. It just gets so hot <br />i cant figure out what is the problem. I think with mine the heat causes the copper <br />in the starter to expand and when it cools it contracts back to gether and will start

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Hartwell. One of the things that interferes with restarting the engine shortly after being shut down is poor tank venting. Try cracking your tank cap and/or pumping your primer bulb before you try her out.<br /><br />Another possibility is operator error. Do you choke/prime it when trying to restart when hot? Don't, you may be flooding it.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

hartwell

Cadet

chasem: i dont think my problem is with the starter,it dont get hot or drag, your problem definitly sounds like starter but thanks anyway

hartwell

Cadet

j.b. cornwell: my engine soundslike it dont have compression when trying to start it, but i will try what you said, thanks

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Hartwell, Just to clarify, when you say "it sounds like it doesn't have compression" do you mean your engine turns over faster than normal? :confused: Have you run a compression check?<br />Backlash

hartwell

Cadet

sounds like it is turning over fast like it has a compression release or something just sounds strange and i cant describe the sound, compression is good

hartwell

Cadet

am i answering these questions in the right manner im new aT this and not sure im doing it right

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Hartwell, That answered my question.......I'm at a loss to answer yours though :( . I've never come across anything quite like the symptoms you're describing & I'll be very interested to hear what's causing it. Please keep us posted. In the meantime, let me ask one more question. When you say the engine is hot, do you mean HOT as in overheated? <br />Backlash

hartwell

Cadet

no not overheating, just through normal use, ive talked to boat mechanic friends and they dont know either, but they all specialize in merc.

gregga2000

Recruit

are you getting spark when it does this could be your ignition power pack a friend had the same problem he had twin outboards so he tried the power pack from his other engine it solved his problem

hartwell

Cadet

gregga: im not sure, but once it cools off and starts it will run perfect all day if you dont shut it off

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi hartwell,<br />Is it possible that the starter bendix is not engaging? The starter motor would spin rapidly and make a stange noise that could sound like the motor is turning with no compression. The motor would not be turning over however. After the motor cools off the bendix could work freely again.<br />To check this out pull the motor cover when the motor is acting up and see if the bendix is actually engaging the flywheel and turning the motor.<br />To lubricate the bendix if this is the problem use a light silcon type lubricant that won't attract dirt. <br />Good Luck,<br />Bill.........

hartwell

Cadet

byordy: the bendix on this motor is not out in the open but it is very possible that this is the problem , ill check it out, thanks\

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

As Gregga suggested, you need to check to see if you're getting spark while it refuses to start. Electronic parts can become intermittent when overheated.<br /><br />When you shut an engine off, cooling water stops circulating, and you can actually experience a temperature spike for a period of time following shut-down. This is more of a problem when the water pump is worn, and normal cooling is compromised to begin with. Have you replaced the pump recently?<br /><br />You should have an optical ignition system. The possibilities are numerous, and would require a complete diagnostics test, most likely while it's in a failure mode.<br /><br />I have an '01 150 Johnson, and it always cranks like it has no compression, but runs perfectly. Guess that's the nature of the beast.<br /><br />Good luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check, sensor, power pack, and coils. Could be a Quick Start problem. Rpms should go to 1100 rpms for 5 seconds on hot restart. Cold start should hold 1100 rpm until engine warm. The Quick Start is in the power pack. last thing to check is pump inside vapor septerator.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

When the engine is hot have you tried maximum throttle in neutral before you crank the engine? No choke.

hartwell

Cadet

thank you for all your answers and ill check them out soon and let you guys know what i found. i do think it is some kind of sensor.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Look for arcing from coil to metal plate between coil and power pack.