• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

150 johnson wont start when hot

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 johnson wont start when hot

i have a 1996 150 johnson that wont start when hot, it sounds strange like it has no compression,but when it cools off it is fine,it runs just fine,any suggestions?

Re: 150 johnson wont start when hot

hi hartwell i have a 1979 55hp evinrude with the same problem. Is your starter extremelyhot . my gets hot and after it cools down it will fire and run good. It just gets so hot i cant figure out what is the problem. I think with mine the heat causes the copper in the starter to expand and when it cools it contracts back to gether and will start

Comment

Howdy, Hartwell. One of the things that interferes with restarting the engine shortly after being shut down is poor tank venting. Try cracking your tank cap and/or pumping your primer bulb before you try her out.Another possibility is operator error. Do you choke/prime it when trying to restart when hot? Don't, you may be flooding it.Good luck.Red sky at night. . .JB
      sigpic

Comment

chasem: i dont think my problem is with the starter,it dont get hot or drag, your problem definitly sounds like starter but thanks anyway

Comment

j.b. cornwell: my engine soundslike it dont have compression when trying to start it, but i will try what you said, thanks

Comment

Hey Hartwell, Just to clarify, when you say "it sounds like it doesn't have compression" do you mean your engine turns over faster than normal? Have you run a compression check?Backlash

Comment

sounds like it is turning over fast like it has a compression release or something just sounds strange and i cant describe the sound, compression is good

Comment

am i answering these questions in the right manner im new aT this and not sure im doing it right

Comment

Hey Hartwell, That answered my question.......I'm at a loss to answer yours though . I've never come across anything quite like the symptoms you're describing & I'll be very interested to hear what's causing it. Please keep us posted. In the meantime, let me ask one more question. When you say the engine is hot, do you mean HOT as in overheated? Backlash

Comment

no not overheating, just through normal use, ive talked to boat mechanic friends and they dont know either, but they all specialize in merc.

Comment

are you getting spark when it does this could be your ignition power pack a friend had the same problem he had twin outboards so he tried the power pack from his other engine it solved his problem

Comment

gregga: im not sure, but once it cools off and starts it will run perfect all day if you dont shut it off

Comment

Hi hartwell,Is it possible that the starter bendix is not engaging? The starter motor would spin rapidly and make a stange noise that could sound like the motor is turning with no compression. The motor would not be turning over however. After the motor cools off the bendix could work freely again.To check this out pull the motor cover when the motor is acting up and see if the bendix is actually engaging the flywheel and turning the motor.To lubricate the bendix if this is the problem use a light silcon type lubricant that won't attract dirt. Good Luck,Bill.........

Comment

byordy: the bendix on this motor is not out in the open but it is very possible that this is the problem , ill check it out, thanks\

Comment

just cheking to see if there are any other ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X