"Laptop" Diagnostic Software

Fishcamp

Cadet
"Laptop" Diagnostic Software

I've read several postings where you-all used what I take to be the same computer diagnostics software that is used by the service techs at the dealers. Is this available to us "civilians"? If so, can anyone tell me about cost, availability, computer requirements, etc, and where I might get it? I'm running a pair of '98 Johnson 115Hp Fichts and there have been several times when I had to take the engines back to the dealer due to something fairly simple to fix- IF the diagnostic software would have been available rather than just a "check engine" warning. Any thoughts you might want to share regarding expertist to use the software would also be appreciated.<br />Thanks!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: "Laptop" Diagnostic Software

I'm not a motor tech, but a problem I could see is the engine manufacturer would probably void your warrenty if you somehow got into the programming of your own engine. They also need the feedback from their dealers on problems, so that the next generation will get them fixed.<br /><br />It's like they don't allow someone to drive a tractor trailer on the highway without training first, even though anyone with enough money can buy one.

Fishcamp

Cadet

I see your point, Seadawg. These engines are out of warranty so that's not a problem. If an owner could do a little more diagnostics than the lights provide, it would be easier to fix the simple stuff, or at least make a better decision as to whether to fix it or bring it to the dealer to fix. I wasn't really looking to do any re-programming. What I am really after is to eliminate the simple stuff on my own.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

The diagnostic software will not allow the user to re-program any of the engines operational parameters. You can order the latest version of the software thru your local dealer p/n 5005058. You'll also need a user guide p/n 350281. The software MUST be run in a DOS environment, if run on the windows operating system in a "DOS-window" it may become unstable. Also it does not support USB, your computer must have RS-232 ports.<br /><br />-John

Fishcamp

Cadet

Much obliged, John. Any idea what the software costs?

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

The software disk is $5/$6, the users guide about $10.<br /><br />-John

Fishcamp

Cadet

Thanks again, John. That's a lot more reasonable than I expected. :D

petryshyn

Commander

Hey fishcamp<br /><br />You'll probably need an interface cable as well. (serial cable) How much are those?

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Good catch schematic! p/n 437955 $50 - unless you can find the Bass & Walleye Boats Magazine article that explains how to build one for the cost of the cable & connectors from Radio Shack...<br /><br />-John

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, I just got used a 98 FICHT 150, where is the article regarding software and hardware needed ? I am learning more and more regarding this "baby" and I would like to read PCM error code before I go any further.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Find the May 2000 issue of Bass and Walleye Boats for the cable and FICHT software article. You might be able to get reprints or a back issue from the publisher.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cheap laptops from pawn shop. dealer diag cable from dealer and the program loaded from a dealer disc last time i checked the cable was les than 50 bucks stop by the shop buy your parts from me i will load program for free

sjksjk

Cadet

If this service tool runs in DOS, do not try to use it with WIN-2000 as it will probably not work. You will have to use 95 or 98. Stu.