Johnson 55hp

buster1

Recruit
1968 55hp model tr-10r<br />have intermitten miss, no top end power.<br />compression 105-110lb,had carb rebuilt new fuel lines and tank replaced checked points and plugs.Must be electrical,Where do I start??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 55hp

Howdy, Buster. Start at your ignition "amplifier". Position the crank so that the distributor wants to fire plug #1, disconnect the Black/white wire from the points and ground it. You should get a strong spark at that plug.<br /><br />Check the points again. Both sets should be gapped at .010.<br /><br />After that, look for poor or dirty connections, mechanical wobble in the points/distributor mechanisms or leaky plug wires.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 55hp

I know this won't be any help, but I can't help but reminise It seems to me that particular motor was introduced the year I finished 5th grade, 1968. My neighbor hired me to shuttle lumber on his make shift barge (powered by a brand new Johnson 55) out to an island in Silver Lake, Washington (not far from Mt. St. Helens) where he was building a cabin. There I was...all of 11 years old...captain of the entire operation. He eventually installed the motor on his 16 ft. Glastron...and I even got to pilot that once in a while. Ahhhh... Now, those were the good 'ol days.<br /><br />Thanks for the memories....<br /><br />Walt