1972 Evinrude 50

Vin P

Cadet
I recently got a 1972 Evinrude Lark 50. In general, it runs very well. It has plenty of power at the top end and runs pretty well at lower rpms. The only problem is with idling. Even with a fast enough idle in neutral to make the gears clunk when engaged, it will slow and stall when put into gear if I don't immediately tweak the throttle. I have tried adjusting the carbs and synchronizing the ignition, but it still stalls after a few seconds in gear. If I set the idle while in gear, the engine runs way too fast in neutral.<br /><br />Any ideas?

Mike2u

Recruit
Re: 1972 Evinrude 50

I have a 1975 50 hp rude "Sizzler" that I bought this year. Same symptoms as yours. After reading my Clymer manual I deduced that I had a fuel delivery problem. I replaced the fuel line, connectors,6 gal. tank, primer bulb and rebuilt the fuel pump. Total was under 50 bucks if I remember right and all is fine now. Except that I trashed the prop second time out. Oh well, live and learn<br />Mike

Vin P

Cadet
Re: 1972 Evinrude 50

Thanks, Mike<br />The tanks and line are new, but I will check out the fuel pump. I suppose if the pump is not efficient at low rpms, it could do this, and still be able to put out at higher speeds.<br /><br />Vin