'81 Johnson tuning

BB79RANCH

Cadet
I am having some problems with my '81 Johnson 50 and I was hoping someone at this post could help me. Bare in mind this is my first outboard, I am definitely mechanically inclined so fixing any problems myself wouldn't be a problem, I just need a little guidance in dealing with outboards. I have done a few repairs to this engine: (A) Cleaned & rebuilt both carbs. (B) Installed new stator, new ignition coils, new spark plugs & wires. (C) Removed head to inspect cylinders for wear (VERY good condition), installed new gaskets & new thermostat. (D) New fuel lines. (E) Removed Reed box and inspected them for signs of wear or abnormality, checked clearances. The re-occuring problems are: (1) Excessive shudder/shaking of engine when idling in neutral, it idles OK, but like it has a miss now and then causing the shaking. (2) Engine will idle OK then you will hear an audible click then engine labors for a second or so especially when you raise rpm from idle, sounds like an automotive A/C clutch engaging, then engine returns to a decent idle. I don't know if I have a carb. problem, an electrical problem, a fuel pump problem or what??? Carbs are clean inside, all passages unblocked, all electronics were checked with digital multimeter for their reistance values and all are in check (charge coil, sensor coil, stator, ignition coils, power pack and etc.) I have tried to cover everthing I could to solve this problem(s), but they're still here. PLEASE HELP if you can. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible. <br /><br /> Todd