1984 50 Horse johnson lower unit

bama

Recruit
I ran over a crab trap with my 50 horse Jonson and spun or striped the gears. In gear it spins freely but makes a little grind. I am a mechanic but never have worked on the lower end or foot of an outboard, other than a prop change or oil. Is it worth it for me to try and rebuild it. Do they sell a lower unit kit with the gears and seals? Or should I cough up the cash and take it in? Also I was told not to store an outboard with the lower unit end up. What could that possibly cause?<br /><br />------------------<br />Good Fishing<br />Ray

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 50 Horse johnson lower unit

Hi Bama, You could probably do the work if you had the special tools. There is some shimming required when rebuilding the gearcase. If it's shimmed worng, it could cause the gearcase to fail quickly.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 50 Horse johnson lower unit

Hopefully all you have done is spin your prop hub .Put a 2by 4 between the cavitation plate and prop blades .Put a breaker bar on the flywheel nut,put in gear ,turn clockwiseand go to it .You should see some flex but if the shaft turns substantially with little effort you have a spun hub.