Jack plate on small boat?

JonBoater

Cadet
Hi everybody! I have a friend with a 1993 Johnson 25hp on a Tracker boat. In the future he plans to repower with a newer more powerful outboard. I can get his 25 pretty reasonable for my jon boat but the problem is I need a 15" shaft and his is a 20". Is there a company that builds a jack plate for small boats? I figured I could build one if I had to. Does anyone have any experience with this?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />James

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Jack plate on small boat?

Ahoy, JonBoater. First: check the manufacturers plate in your jon to be sure it can handle 25 hp. If it can, you can build up the transom yourself with MARINE GRADE plywood.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

JonBoater

Cadet

Thanks J.B., 25hp is max on my 14'er, where can I find marine grade plywood?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Several com****** make plates that work well. Cook Manufacturing makes a vertical extension you may want to check out at www.cook-mfg.com part number 50012.<br /><br />Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, JonBoater. I like Dhadley's suggestion better than mine. Home engineering can be extremely good, but it can also be disastrous. Buy a professionally designed transom extender.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif