What type of oil for tilt/trim ?

Ken Williams

Cadet
I have a 1980 johnson 70hp. which is leaking oil from the top of the centre lift cylinder. (I have one cylinder in the middle and a smaller cylinder on each side of the centre one). I have had a quote over the phone, and was told it would be between $400 and $500 to fix. The mechanic told me if I did not want to fix it straight away I could keep topping it up with oil and carry on using the boat. My questions are: what type of oil do I use, and, the fill hole is half way up the centre cylinder, can I just undo the screw and top up oil level, or must engine be in "up" or "down" postion. I am worried about undoing the fill screw while system is under pressure? Thank for any help you can give.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What type of oil for tilt/trim ?

Hello Ken Williams, The oil you can use, while waiting to repair it is dexron 2 or 3 automatic transmission fluid. The motor should be tilted up and you fill the unit to the fill hole. If the oil goes too low to tilt it up, you can add oil while it's down, until it goes up. Slowly remove the screw and allow pressure to escape before pulling the plug out completely. Try to avoid filling the tilt unit with the boat in the water, so you don't spill in the water. You should get it repaired, some people don't like to see oil in the water. ;)