1969 Johnson out board 55hp, wont prime

Hi everyone, great site glad to be a part of it. Hope you can help me with this problem. I have a 55 horse 1969 johnson 3cyl. Was running great. Now for some reason it wont prime, keep in mind this was last summer, I put it away because of this problem. When I squeeze the prime ball, it never gets hard and eventually gas dumps out the carbs. I bought a new baulb, same thing, and, whan im running it it chocks out, sound like the floats? Im not very mechanically inclined so if it is, is it somthing I could do myself.

ajohnston

Seaman
Re: 1969 Johnson out board 55hp, wont prime

Can never be sure but if it was mine i would dis assembley carub and do a through cleaning along with kit and try it again. seems like a carub problem to me.

thanks for the tip, thats what im trying to avoid, if I can, the moter was tuned up last year and they checked and cleaned the carbs.They said it would be 100$ just to look at it again, and wont give me any info over the phone. I did just find however a small crack in a line hooked to the bottom carb, but it looked like it was on far enough to not be a problem, but you never know. I think your write, im gonna be taering it apart....God help me. Thanks again.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Billy;<br />dom't be afraid of OMC carbs.My personal <br /> opionion they are the easiest on the market.However I think that you have adjustable low speed jets on your engine, if so screw them in all the way(seated lightly) counting the number of turns just to enable you to put them back where they where at when finished. other than that set the floats parellel with the carb. body take a can of<br /> spray carb cleaner and make sure all holes and orfices are clean install the carb kit and you are done.<br />Hope this eases your mind some

alcan

Commander

Hi Billy<br /> I agree sounds like float and float valve time to me. If your motor is flooding out while running. Check the choke springs, make sure they are strong enough to hold choke open. Good luck.

thanks for the encouragement almost retired, I was really hoping It would be somthing stupid like a seal on a gas tank or something like that, not to thrilled about having to rip into this thing, but sounds like I might have too. O well I guess thats part of boating fun.

HI alcan, thanks for the advise. Befor I do anything I think Ill try, (when it warms up here)running it again, last season I noticed if I primed the baulb just enough to get some gas in the moter, it would run fine, but when I stop and sit a while with the motor off the gas will start to run out the motor, than when you start it up again, its flooded. I was just hoping that somehow while sitting, it fixed itself, yeh rite, no just thought id give it another shot before I dig in, cant hurt. Sorry my messages are so long, but heres one more question. This boat ran great last summer, we went up north (Mi.) towed the boat for about 4 hours, the moter was lifted up on the transom for travel. When we got there I noticed I forgot to unhook the gas line, thats when it started acting up. <br />is that possibly what stuck the floats? Thanks for all the help guys, God bless

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hope u haven't dug-in yet. THERE IS one thing you can try. Get a bud to squeeze the primer bulb,while you gently tap the bowl of the carb. Many times this will jar the needle enough the seat it.

alcan

Commander

Yes 12footer's got the right idea. If you havn't service those carbs in a while now is a real good time. You might be able to obtain a manual at the libaray. Or by one, well worth the money. Just work slow take your time, no hurry when the weather is nasty,right? Good luck have fun.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a needle valve or a fuel supply leak. <br />Carb rebuild kits are easy to install, might just have a bad gasket or needle valve & seat. <br />Don't be afraid.....look at the parts, forget the directions and replace what you see. Just keep it clean.<br />There are certain fuel chambers that may cause a problem but this sounds like a fuel supply sealing problem not a mechanical one.<br />Edited: Forgot the primer bulb. When in doubt, throw it out. They are only about $5.<br /><br /> ;)

AHHH, The plot thickins. Hey thanks for all the responds, I havnt dug in yet, wont till im absolutly sure Im ready, I will definattly try any trouble shoots first, such as the tapping on the carb idea, never know might get lucky. Hey is there a fuel pump on this thing that could be bad? Not sure it looks all vacume fed. Thanks again for all the help, this is really great, how it should be, fellow boaters helping each other out, too bad Ill never hit the waters with any of you. Hope I can return the favors some time. <br /> God bless!!