Evinrude idle adjustment

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1994 Evinrude 120. It idles at about 1000 rpm. Makes a nice "clunk" when shifting into gear at this rpm. Would like to idle down a little to lessen stress on lower unit. Throttle/shifting linkage is right. What else can I do to slow engine a little?<br /><br />Also wanted to re-torque heads...does anyone know what psi to use on head bolts?<br /><br />Any help would be great!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude idle adjustment

Youre right. It's idleing too high. First disconnect the throttle cable. Locate the idle stop screw on the port side under the flywheel. Back the screw out to slow it down. This will allow the timer base to be retarded further. The idle speed adjustment is on the upper starboard side just under the flywheel. It is a black plastic piece with a plastic locking nut. Loosen the nut by hand and turn the handle clockwise to slow it down. This moves the timer base without changing the throttle adjustments. Tighten the nut to lock it in place and adjust the cable to match and reattach.<br /><br />There are good pictures and a better discription in your service manual.<br /><br />Good luck!

omctech

Seaman

Follow Dhadley's method and drop about 200-250 rpm. As far as retorquing the heads, let engine sit out of water for a min. of 12 hrs. This will ensure it is cool and drained. Loosen all head bolts. The heads are marked with the proper torque sequence. Start with 10#, go to 15#, and finish with 20#.

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, thanks again for the good information. :) When I re-torque the heads how many ft lbs of torque should I apply to each head bolt? <br /><br />Thanks