1993 175 Evinrude 60 Degree Spitfire

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all! It's sad to report ole evi is sick! I have a high speed miss that progresses into an all speed miss over time. I have replaced almost the entire ignition system. (Stator, power pack, coils, wires, and plugs) Boat will run great for about 5 hours then the miss returns. After taking a look at my plugs the #1 clynder is completly encrusted in what looks like carbon. (Completly encrusted!!!!!! No longer even a visible gap all coated) My guess is that I have a leak in the #1 cylinder and the salt is crystalizing and thus sticking to the plug and fouling it! What are any of your thoughts??? Time for a new head gasket? FYI- I have already done 2 carbon treatments!!<br /><br />Looking forward to any reply's,<br />Tim

finnaddict98

Cadet
Re: 1993 175 Evinrude 60 Degree Spitfire

Id unbolt it and make a nice artificial reef!! Couldnt resist the temptation to provide info to little brother. By the way, my boat is still broken too....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You aren't going to like this answer but here goes. What you have is a block with what is known as a "glue seam" leak. It has to do with how the foam was assembled during the lost foam casting process. <br /><br />There is no reliable cure except to replace the block. Or buy a bunch of spark plugs.<br /><br />BTW - your motor does not have head gaskets - only o-rings. Some people think it's the head itself and will sell you a new head. Both heads are the same and can be switched if you want to try that. <br /><br />I would love to tell you it's the o-rings, but it never is. Replace the block with a 98 or newer. The 60 degree motors are great ones. <br /><br />Good luck!

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

Your right I do not like your answer!!! How confident are you in your guess? Are there any test I can do to back up your thoughts?<br />Thanks for your reply,<br />Tim

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

You seem very confident in your answer! You seem to know what you are talking about! What should I do? Sell the thing and buy a new one or fix it? What type of cost is in the fix? Are we sure it's not anything electrical? Sorry for all of the questions but it's not everyday you can chat with someone who knows what there doing!<br /><br />Thanks,<br />TM

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can have the block assembly pressure checked but sometimes the crack only opens after it heats up. I would change the block or get a complete remanufactured powerhead if thats easier. I really like those motors so if it was me, I'd fix it.<br /><br />Good luck!

finnaddict98

Cadet

Your problem and from what it sounds like..the solution make me so happy I have an extended warranty. Did I memtion that my boat is still broke, but under warranty??? Dont lose my prop lil brother!!!! hehehehehehehe

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

Fin-<br />PLease don't forget that this is the ONLY problem I have had since owning the motor. Over time I have saved I am sure. The decision now is to repair or go get the 200 that I have wanted! Warrenties are great however waiting a month would be no good to me since I am on the water a few times a week! So what should I do?

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

dhadly-<br />A few questions if you don't mind.<br /><br />Why would this suddenly occur if it is a seam glue leak? The boat has ran like a champ since day one and now all of a sudden this.<br /><br />O-ring??? I know you think not but is there anyway to determine of it is an o-ring?<br /><br />If this was your motor what would do? Cost effective? Price?<br /><br />Once again thank you for all of your info!

rads22

Recruit

I have a 1995 175 Evinrude that has the same problem - salt deposits fouling number 1 plug. I replaced the o-rings in hopes of solving the problem, to no avail.<br /><br />I guess my question is, how long did this defect with the molds persist at OMC? I heard it was early 90 models, yet I have the problem with a 95. <br /><br />What really worries me, is I have twin engines!

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

Rads-<br />Well sorry to hear you have the same problem. Man this engine was a dream to own. I have not had ANY problems except for the yearly water pump and preventiive mtx. The block appears to be about 4k. I can get a new/demo for 8k (200 hp) So I am in a pickle. Should I replace orings hoping I might get lucky? Does OMC offer any help since it's a factory defect? (I know the answer aleady) HELP!<br /><br />TM

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're not convinced, give it a try. The O-rings are cheap, and it's an easy job. Torque sequence is cast into the head. If you have access to a fax machine, I'll fax you the pertinent pages from the factory manual, if you'd like.

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

Beer-<br />It's not that i'm not convinced! I would much rather extinguish all options before making a 4k investment. Is there a chance it's the rings? I really hate to get rid of it when she has been so good to me..... :)

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess what I'm trying to say is, why not spend a few bucks and a couple of hours to assure yourself, before committing to $4K?<br /><br />Before I go, I want to make sure which cylinder you are referring to as "#1". It should be the one at the top of the block. If you have it upside-down, and the problem is actually at the bottom of the block, it could be the lower main seal on the crankshaft allowing saltwater to get sucked in. Just a thought.....

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

beer-<br />Definatly the #1 cylinder. With your best guesstimate what are the chances of it being the o-ring????????<br /><br />Fingers crossed,<br />TM

rads22

Recruit

Hey Dusk,<br /> I'd say give the o-rings a try. I was convinced it was the o-rings because there was a slight drip escaping from the head. Changed them which stopped the drip, but the plug is still fouling.<br /><br />As far as OMC/Bombadier making good on this problem, I seriously doubt it, especially with OMC having gone chapter 11.<br /><br />You definately have a tough choice in terms of new powerhead or new motor. Guess it comes down to having an extra 4-5k to spend on the newer motor. <br /><br />Another alternative as a friend poiinted out....$4000 buys ALOT of spark plugs.

Dusky203

Seaman Apprentice

Rad-<br />I already thought about the spark plug BULK purchase!!! Mt thought is this - will this problem get worse as time goes on? It just started about a month ago so in another month will I only get 1 hour out of the plug??? I don't know what to do now????????<br /><br />TM

rads22

Recruit

I don't think the rate of fouling increases, so far it seems pretty constant to me, and I've been using it all season. The damage is to the cylinder, piston, and rings from scoring. But hey, the powerhead is already shot so it doesn't matter. I'm probably a little more willing to take the risk cause even if the engine died, I still have the other one to get home on. It's a different situation with a single engine.<br /><br />BTW, I actually don't purchase new plugs. I just clean the old one up with a wire brush. Works very well. The sad thing is the engine seems to be running fine otherwise.